1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Physical Damage or Design Flaw? You tell me. What Sprint told me to do.

1. JMac202

JMac202 Well-Known Member

So you all know how HTC oddly designed this phone to have it rest on the camera lens. Well my lens is cracked. Not sure when or how it happened. I wont even say it cracking wasn't my fault. Likely was. However I do have insurance and the repair part of it too. I pay 7 dollars a month.

Well took my phone into Sprint and they told me they couldn't repair the lens because it's considered physical damage and if they repaired it it would void the warranty agreement they have with HTC.

So my question is why do I pay an extra 3 dollars a month for repairs when they can't even repair my phone?

They call it physical damage I call it design flaw. They said I would have to file a claim with Asurion and pay 100 deductible to get a replacement phone. Well I dont want a replacement phone. Mine works flawlessly. I dont want to get rid of it. Let alone why would someone in their right mind pay 100 dollars for just a cracked piece of plastic or glass the size of a dime?

Advertisement
    :
  2. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Oy, tough situation. I use a case cause I really don't want that to happen.
    archercc likes this.
  3. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

I have the same problem,one day pulled my phone out of my pocket and bam there it was the lens cover was cracked. How it happened irk,same day my speaker blew off this thing sounds like really bad,my phone is been like this for about a month. I'm gonna bring it into a store tomorrow for the speaker issue,the crack does not bother me at all my pictures are still crystal clear.
  4. JMac202

Yeah well I was waiting on the Otterbox case. (Got it today) But I was on vacation this past weekend. On the way home I was sleeping in the backseat while my friend drove. When we stopped at the gas station my phone was on my lap. It fell to the pavement. Dented one corner of it. One crack was already on the lens and now it's "Y" shaped.

It's my fault either way but having insurance should cover a small repair like this. At least one would think but it doesn't. I have to pay a 100 deductible and get a refurb that I hope to god doesnt have any issues.
  5. JMac202

And let me clarify. The lens was already cracked before the drop. It just was worse. Not sure if it happened because of the fall. I didnt check it. Either way its worse now.
  6. gamma

gamma Active Member

HTC phones have many design flaws, For example the MY touch 3g not reading from many SD cards.
  7. broadwayblue

broadwayblue Well-Known Member

Did you get in on some kind of pre-order from Otterbox? I didn't think they were available yet?
  8. JMac202

No I got an email saying they had released them yesterday. Called a Sprint store in my town and they had them.
  9. djrottweiler

djrottweiler Well-Known Member

I am signed up for otterbox emails and just checked the site and they still day not available...otterbox that is??? Crazy you have one have any pics or a review for us? OK my bad they have the commuter series on there I want the defender guess that is why I am still waiting... anyways how do you like yours?
  10. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

There is a guide floating around on how to replace the camera lens yourself If you feel like you can do it
  11. To the OP, I would suggest you call *2 and ask for Account Services. They are usually more forgiving when it comes to things like that.
  12. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member

Couple tips on dealing with customer service. ALWAYS as for a supervisor. The front line person you first talk to has no power to do anything special for you. If the supervisor cannot help ask to speak to the Office of the CEO. yep, the CEO has their own customer service. When you get to that level you can get all kinds of special treatmnet.
  13. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

Just order a new rear case on ebay and replace it yourself! It is a lot less hassle than dealing with sprint! It will void your warranty, but as you have found those are not worth much anyways. I had a treo that I replaced the screen on twice and the keyboard despite having a $50 deductable, haha.
  14. thearch1tect

thearch1tect Active Member

sometimes you can find shops that will fix it for about 30-40 bucks. Had a friend of mine that had a cracked lens on his iphone camera .. and they fixed it for him for 40 bucks .. worth a shot and better then paying the 100 since you get to keep a phone that you know works great
  15. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

Yeah I have the cracked lense too. Definite design flaw. I'd sooner pop the thing out and go without it than pay 100$ but it hasn't affected my pictures.

I don't have insurance I've been beat by it before but is that 100$ deductible the same if your phone is lost, stolen, or broken? So you could lose the phone and get it replaced for 100$ or you can give it back to them and get it replaced for 100$. All for a camera lense! Now that is BS.
  16. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

i remember seeing a thread here that the camera lens is just a piece of glass that's glued on. hopefully some place has cheap replacement lenses out there
  17. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

How would they know?
  18. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

I've been dealing with cellular CS people for nearly 20 years. While you give some good points about asking to go to a supervisor, it's not always the best move. The best thing to do is call multiple agents and get their answers to the problem. If they don't have a good solution, get a few different tickets going, and then take it to a supervisor. It takes a few more minutes this way, but you usually have a resolution by the 2nd or 3rd regular call - if not, the supervisor reads the notes and sees you've tried to work the issue and is more willing to help.

The biggest thing to remember is that the support agents are reading a book of "What's wrong with my phone" and are more likely less knowledgeable than the people in this forum. They don't know that the lens has a cracking issue, that the battery covers don't stay on well and that the screens are falling out and causing light leaks... They only know what's in their books.

If you take your time, explain the issue, and if needed take it to a store, they will help you fix the issue or offer a few alternatives for you to get it fixed. At least that's what my Sprint store has done for me (In-Touch Wireless location and the Corp Store in Everett, WA.)