Physical Keyboard Attachment?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. DougFunny

DougFunny Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anybody know if there is or will be a physical keyboard attatchment for the EVO? I personally am a big fan of physical keyboards but if there isnt one this phone will still be amazing.

Advertisement
  2. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

No physical attachments yet.. But when HTC fixes their bluetooth stack in Sense (or flash a custom ROM), then you can use bluetooth to hook up a wireless keyboard through some Apps in the market.

3. DougFunny

Oh. I was thinking more like a portable keyboard. When u explain that to me i think like the keyboard from a mac. Is that what you mean?

4. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

yea he means like a full on BT KB... i don't think you'll see any pocket sized KB for the EVO soon... could be wrong but i doubt it

5. DougFunny

Ahh okay well ill keep that in mind if im ever going to be writing any essays on my EVO lol :p

6. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Wait back the BT bus right on up:mad:

Are you telling me they still have not addressed there BT stack yet?:mad::mad:

7. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with android but I am familiar with linux kernels .. so hopefully I'll be able to turn on USB OTG (on-the-go) mode on the USB controller and allow us to use the micro-usb slot to run anything.. keyboard, thumbdrive, or usb 2tb harddrive :)... that'll be my first goal starting friday

Covert_Death likes this.
  8. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Roman G. and jgangsta like this.
  9. DougFunny

Not quite sure what you'd need 2TB's for on the EVO but go for it lol.

jgangsta likes this.
  10. jgangsta

jgangsta Well-Known Member

damn is there any portable keyboard that will work with the evo i dont care for price i wanna use 1 for at home so i dont have to always touch screen

11. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

mostly sarcasm.. but i have a few ideas... like my entire dvd and mp3 collection :) to take with me and stream to any htdv or dvi monitor :)

Covert_Death likes this.
  12. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks. :(

Any word on if Froyo fixes it by chance?

13. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

Any custom rom (including Froyo) that does NOT include Sense UI should "fix" their bluetooth problem.

14. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

I would be interested in a BT keyboard down the road... something ultra-portable.

15. dzar

dzar Well-Known Member

I'm all for USB OTG but HTC screws us every time with this (and the EVO is no exception). While the Snapdragon chip set supports it, there are no included drivers and, worse, no power supply to power your device (so you'd need a powered hub or a self-powered device). Not so useful for the USB flash drives or keyboards...

Also, HTC seems to use the fifth pin (used for OTG sensing) for turning on their "hands-free" mode so I'm not sure if that wire is even wired where it needs to be to enable true OTG sensing with an appropriate driver.

Yes, I have an EVO and, yes, I've tried to get my USB devices to work with it. I'll do some driver stuff at some point after getting root, but I'm not hopeful that the power supply or wiring issues will turn out well.

16. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

actually with on the go mode.. the usb controller acts as both a host and a client for usb depending on how its plugged in or whats plugged in to it.. when it switches to host mode it supplies power.. but I wouldn't trust how much power comes from the pre because while it'll be 5v im sure it will be lacking in the amps department.. for a thumbdrive it might be good enough tho... I got the Pre to switch into OTG mode by making some modifcations to the USB drivers in the kernel and adding usb-storage.ko compiled for the pre kernel... i just got too busy to finish it and broke my micro-ab usb cable (which is also required btw...)

jgangsta likes this.
  17. jgangsta

well im down to donate to this project id lov to be able 2 use a portable key board

18. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

sounds good to me...

19. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

... they dont have drivers for it theres a company that sells them for 10$ its not the bluetooth stacks fault its the physical lack of drivers...

20. jgangsta

well lets all try and keeep this posted as it may com in handy

21. dzar

dzar Well-Known Member

Interesting news on the Pre. I'm hopeful this is just a driver issue on the EVO as well as the Snapdragon chip set supports OTG. I've seen HTC not put any power supplies on, before, so that's my big fear (and, yes, supplying more than 100 mA would be nice, but who knows). Qualcomm has an Android project for their chipsets that should have drivers and header files... I haven't looked at it in a while. Once I get root... two more days!

22. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

anyone remember this for the Palm?

[​IMG]

23. dzar

dzar Well-Known Member

Those were the days! I had a Palm with PalmOS and an attachable keyboard. Used it for data collection. I also have a Palm 800W with USB host so I can plug my USB keyboard in if I want (I don't).

24. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

25. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

lol I thought I was buying a smartphone so I didn't have to cart around a keyboard or mouse.