• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Physical portrait keyboard?

cvam1985

Dec 8, 2009
Any upcoming phones in the Blackberry form with a physical portrait keyboard? I've seen something called the Salsa from HTC and a slider from Moto (Heron?)

I wonder why this particular form has been ignored in Android phones. I love a QWERTY but HATE a landscape slider.

You mean the Pixi/Treo/BB form factor. And no they don't have to be the best. They just have to be good enough. You either buy into Android or you don't. Having a secondary form of navigation in the joystick is key. The only problem I see is the landcape style screen. You already see the issues created by the Droid and N1. Now you have a third resolution to deal with. And Android doesn't scale nearly as well as webOS. So you have to get developers to take the screen res into account. PITA. HTC should look at the Pixi and see where Palm screwed up. Keep the device narrower, lose the wasted space below the keyboard by shifting it down, have a nav pad instead of the joystick with the flanking send/end buttons and have a portrait 16x9 screen with minimal bezel all around.

I look at the Salsa and just think it's way too yesterday and that it's not even going to be good enough. Which stinks for competition because that will leave Palm with the only capacative treo style phone until MS jumps in with their, but their 1st phone isn't even out yet.

Don't know. It would certainly make an interesting option for folks who like the "Pre" form factor!

But that same reason may be why manufacturers are a little wary of it ... too much potential for comparison, so you'd better make sure you come out of it on top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones