Physical QWERTY vs touch screen phones, which is best?

QWERTY or Touchscreen Keboard. Which do you prefer?

1. QWERTY

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Touchscreen

3 vote(s)
    37.5%

Last Updated:

1. mystvearn

mystvearn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Finally HTC DesireHD coming to UK. With that HTC announced Desire Z as well. Since I have no experience in smartphones, is getting a phyiscal keyboard better than a bigger screen? As far as I can tell, smaller screen=longer battery life, no smudges. Big screens useful to cram everything in one screen without zooming in.

I do a lot of SMS, and thinking of email and browse the web (higher resolution is always better-like the Dell Streak) with a smartphone in mind.

Since I don't have any experience in touchscreens or qwerty, could you share your experience?

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

It all depends on what you like. Some people prefer a physical keyboard, others prefer a touch keyboard to avoid a smaller screen/keyboard slide-out.

3. AHanks12

AHanks12 Well-Known Member

Honestly it all comes down to personal preference. I came from a Blackberry with a physical keyboard and thought I was never going to get used to an on-screen keyboard. After a few days of use I could type just as fast as before. My opinion: I'd go with the larger screen w/ the on-screen keyboard rather than sacrificing the screen size for a physical keyboard. I use my phone for so much more than just typing, (navigation, music, etc...) and it's definitely more beneficial to have a larger screen. Again, it's really just about what you want.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Well, Android phones with physical keyboards also typically have virtual keyboards so you can really have both if you want. It is a personal preference though most people will tell you they get used to one or the other after a little bit of time. Last, you can change the virtual keyboard if you don't like a certain style or want different features, you can't change a physical keyboard at all.

5. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

also, not all physical keyboards are equal; personally I am yet to find one currently on sale that betters(or even equals) the Nokia e90 of about 3years ago! I was very unsure about touch-screen keyboards, but after practically no time find mine fine now, and that's a smallish Hero. I've also tried the iPad's much larger touch screen, and that blew me away, so maybe the larger screen of the Desire HD might be the best option, YMMV.

6. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

I'm partial to the slide out physical keyboards. I have a Droid 2, and I have tried to type on the screen, but I make a lot more mistakes. Something about the physical feeling of the keys on my fingers is irreplaceable. But it's just personal preference.

7. Mavis Cruet

Mavis Cruet Well-Known Member

I have a Desire. I wouldn't want to go back to a physical keyboard. I wouldn't even want to go back to a tap input system. I've wholeheartedly embraced the slide method input ..and I love them. Much easier on the fingers too .... :)

8. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

That's a pretty subjective question. Have you gone to the store and played with a couple to get the feel? That's about the only way you will know which is better for you.

9. mystvearn

Thanks for the replies.

Both the Desire HD and DesireZ have the same resolution. Seems that the smaller screen is just smaller-cramped writing?

10. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

Swype keyboard on my Galaxy S Captivate makes this debate over for me personally. Physical keyboards can't replicate Swype. I find it to be the next best thing to a real full size physical keyboard.

mikeymop and jroc like this.
  11. ahpook

ahpook Member

Personally, I like touch screen.

I just think it's just better overall design. Less weight, thinner device. Remove a physical hardware component that's not really needed anymore.

Less is more.

Add voice search and swyping type apps, you'll find different way of thinking especially when driving or on go. Learning curve for me took 1 day.

12. RiderForLife

RiderForLife New Member

I have a Motorola Backflip, which has a flip-out qwerty keyboard. You can also tap a text-box for the on-screen keyboard to come up...but if you have fat fingers like me, it's tough using the on-screen one and hitting the right letters.

However, have a friend who has a Droid X which has a huge screen but no physical keyboard. I'm able to type faster on her on-screen huge keyboard than the Backflip's small physical keyboard.

So I say....
    No physical keyboard ===> better have a large screen

13. notreallynuse

notreallynuse Active Member

I personally like physical keyboard cause I txt a lot and I find it easier. My first touchscreen phone was a samsung behold and I hated it cause I messed up so many times when I was trying to txt. My next touch screen was the Motorola Cliq and it was awesome because I could blaze with the physical keyboard. The onscreen keyboard still was a pain. I have the droid

14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea Swype ends it me now too. Thats all I use now, its amazing once u get used to it.

Swype changed my mind so much that the next phone I got after the Droid didn't have a physical keyboard. I barely used it on the Droid anyway, even before Swype. Coming from the Omnia 1, I thought I needed a slide out keyboard cuz the Omnia screen/phone was so bad.

After using the Droid , I realized if the screen is good, an onscreen keyboard isnt too bad.

I cant say which is better tho. Like some before me said, its preference. If u find or use a good onscreen keyboard u might not use a physical one anymore.

15. mystvearn

Interesting. Will give on-screen keyboard a try. I'll "borrow" my friends Iphone 3g and see how it works. I usually sms and type without looking at the screen since I memorise the physicla location location of the keypad. Works for me using both thumbs.

16. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

Exactly, I got the D1 because of the physical keyboard, but since I've started using Swype I rarely use the physical anymore. If my next phone has Swype on it I wouldn't mind touchscreen only.

17. mystvearn

Swype works with English only right? Won't work with other languages if I am not mistaken

18. SirRicky85

SirRicky85 Member

I have both and honestly I use the touch screen more than the physical keyboard. btw I have the samsung epic. Big, but not too big screen. I still make some common mistake, and the keyboard is good. I'm not a pro at it yet because I'm using the touch screen more than the keyboard.

19. drewsg

drewsg Well-Known Member

After texting on the Evo in portrait, I can't even go to Swype.. it's so much slower

20. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It's a highly subjective matter. A poll won't show which is better, just which is more popular. The two words don't mean the same thing. If you're not sure of your preference then that's something you'd need to figure out for yourself. Asking others won't help.

Further, not all touchscreen devices are alike nor are all physical keyboards alike. I prefer a good physical keyboard. I can't stand the keyboard on my Droid and use Swype instead. As much as I like Swype, I'd prefer to have a good slide-out physical keyboard in addition to the virtual ones.