• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Physical QWERTY vs touch screen phones, which is best?

QWERTY or Touchscreen Keboard. Which do you prefer?

• QWERTY

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Touchscreen

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

mystvearn

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
MY
Hi,

Finally HTC DesireHD coming to UK. With that HTC announced Desire Z as well. Since I have no experience in smartphones, is getting a phyiscal keyboard better than a bigger screen? As far as I can tell, smaller screen=longer battery life, no smudges. Big screens useful to cram everything in one screen without zooming in.

I do a lot of SMS, and thinking of email and browse the web (higher resolution is always better-like the Dell Streak) with a smartphone in mind.

Since I don't have any experience in touchscreens or qwerty, could you share your experience?

Honestly it all comes down to personal preference. I came from a Blackberry with a physical keyboard and thought I was never going to get used to an on-screen keyboard. After a few days of use I could type just as fast as before. My opinion: I'd go with the larger screen w/ the on-screen keyboard rather than sacrificing the screen size for a physical keyboard. I use my phone for so much more than just typing, (navigation, music, etc...) and it's definitely more beneficial to have a larger screen. Again, it's really just about what you want.

Upvote 0
Well, Android phones with physical keyboards also typically have virtual keyboards so you can really have both if you want. It is a personal preference though most people will tell you they get used to one or the other after a little bit of time. Last, you can change the virtual keyboard if you don't like a certain style or want different features, you can't change a physical keyboard at all.

Upvote 0
...you can't change a physical keyboard at all.
also, not all physical keyboards are equal; personally I am yet to find one currently on sale that betters(or even equals) the Nokia e90 of about 3years ago! I was very unsure about touch-screen keyboards, but after practically no time find mine fine now, and that's a smallish Hero. I've also tried the iPad's much larger touch screen, and that blew me away, so maybe the larger screen of the Desire HD might be the best option, YMMV.

Upvote 0
Personally, I like touch screen.

I just think it's just better overall design. Less weight, thinner device. Remove a physical hardware component that's not really needed anymore.

Less is more.

Add voice search and swyping type apps, you'll find different way of thinking especially when driving or on go. Learning curve for me took 1 day.

Upvote 0
I personally like physical keyboard cause I txt a lot and I find it easier. My first touchscreen phone was a samsung behold and I hated it cause I messed up so many times when I was trying to txt. My next touch screen was the Motorola Cliq and it was awesome because I could blaze with the physical keyboard. The onscreen keyboard still was a pain. I have the droid

Upvote 0
Swype keyboard on my Galaxy S Captivate makes this debate over for me personally. Physical keyboards can't replicate Swype. I find it to be the next best thing to a real full size physical keyboard.

Yea Swype ends it me now too. Thats all I use now, its amazing once u get used to it.

Swype changed my mind so much that the next phone I got after the Droid didn't have a physical keyboard. I barely used it on the Droid anyway, even before Swype. Coming from the Omnia 1, I thought I needed a slide out keyboard cuz the Omnia screen/phone was so bad.

After using the Droid , I realized if the screen is good, an onscreen keyboard isnt too bad.

I cant say which is better tho. Like some before me said, its preference. If u find or use a good onscreen keyboard u might not use a physical one anymore.

Upvote 0
Swype keyboard on my Galaxy S Captivate makes this debate over for me personally. Physical keyboards can't replicate Swype. I find it to be the next best thing to a real full size physical keyboard.

Exactly, I got the D1 because of the physical keyboard, but since I've started using Swype I rarely use the physical anymore. If my next phone has Swype on it I wouldn't mind touchscreen only.

Upvote 0
Since I don't have any experience in touchscreens or qwerty, could you share your experience?
It's a highly subjective matter. A poll won't show which is better, just which is more popular. The two words don't mean the same thing. If you're not sure of your preference then that's something you'd need to figure out for yourself. Asking others won't help.

Further, not all touchscreen devices are alike nor are all physical keyboards alike. I prefer a good physical keyboard. I can't stand the keyboard on my Droid and use Swype instead. As much as I like Swype, I'd prefer to have a good slide-out physical keyboard in addition to the virtual ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones