Physically Updating Processor+RAM??General

Last Updated:

1. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, can I just order that famous 1GHz processor, bust open my Eris, and directly install it into my phone?

How about RAM? Can I do that too?

Just wondering as I've done it to my computer before, hehe.

Advertisement
  2. bowerman

bowerman Guest

I'm almost positive that it is either soldered or made into the motherboard of the phone. I don't think it is even close to possible!

textstev likes this.
  3. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

If by "order that famous 1GHz processor, bust open my Eris, and directly install it into my phone", you mean "buy a Google Nexus One or other 1ghz phone with a Snapdragon like from HTC, and then activate it with my Google account, and re-download what apps I had, and re-make all of my home screens and get used to a completely different physical handset", then the answer absolutely is yes.

Otherwise, probably not.

4. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

You're kidding... right?

LiverpoolsNo9 likes this.
  5. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does it look like I'm kidding? For the record, No, I'm not. You can change the battery, and you can change SD, you can even change casing, or ROMs, etc, and you can do this for laptops/desktops, and since phones are becoming so much like computer, I was just wondering. Thanks anyway.

6. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Days of that will change though, as computers will soon be going to all flash memory. No moving parts and computer will stay cool, but limited read/write cycles.

7. frickingphil

frickingphil Well-Known Member

No.

Everything is soldered on the motherboard, and there is no standard CPU socket for phones anyway. It's about as easy as replacing the CPU in a laptop...which is to say, nearly impossible (in most cases)

8. Roaddog

Roaddog Well-Known Member

This won't happen until:
    1. The storage capabilities of solid state alternatives rivals or surpasses the current multiple platter in a case setup.
    2. The prices for solid state memory come down. WAY down. Why pay so much for the flash alternative when I can go down to Best Buy and get a half TB drive for under $100?

Also, it will still generate a good deal of heat, but noticably less than current configurations. This is still a ways away from being an alternative for joe average.