• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Pick up new EVO with 2.1 today; quick question for ya...

I'll be picking up an EVO today that will be coming with 2.1 and I plan to root the phone. Since this will be my first time with Sprint, do I go through the set up procedure (it will be at Best Buy) when I pick up the phone as long as there is the understanding that they are not to do the OTA update to 2.2? Or do I just tell them I'm armed and dangerous (most likely to my phone) with information from Android Forums and I can do the set up myself? Thanks!

I'll be picking up an EVO today that will be coming with 2.1 and I plan to root the phone. Since this will be my first time with Sprint, do I go through the set up procedure (it will be at Best Buy) when I pick up the phone as long as there is the understanding that they are not to do the OTA update to 2.2? Or do I just tell them I'm armed and dangerous (most likely to my phone) with information from Android Forums and I can do the set up myself? Thanks!
I bought my phone at BB in June, simply to avoid the whole rebate song and dance. I was already a Sprint customer, and I floated your suggestion. There was no 2.2 back then, but I knew going in that I was going to root it, so I offered to save them the time (there was quite a long line behind me wanting EVOs), to just leave it in the box, take it home and set it up myself.

BBguy insisted that *he* had to set it up, then and there, period; the only way I could leave the store without them setting it up was to pay full retail and forfeit the rebate, or take it up with Sprint, fight for a refund over and above the upgrade price, do the rebate form, and wait six weeks+ more for that. I don't know if it was just that particular store, an egotistical power trip on his part, whether the policy is still in place, or what.

I decided it wasn't worth an argument, and let BBguy have his way. It didn't really matter anyway (and I think the line breathed a collective sigh of relief, lol). If you can talk them out of the 2.2 upgrade, great. If not, no worries, you can still root it, it's just a few extra steps.

I would not, under any circumstances, let them know that you plan to root it. They have the means to note it to your account and alert Sprint, which completely hoses your warranty. Even if you RUU'd it undetectably back to stock, they could still make it a long, drawn out argument, which you'd probably win in the end, but in doing so waste a lot of time, energy and stress navigating your way through needless adventures in migraines, and end up wishing you'd just kept mum about it in the first place. I'm not saying that *will* happen, only that it could.

Reactions: I Like Soup
Upvote 0

It is incredibly easy to set the phone up yourself.

Reactions: I Like Soup
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones