pics in txt mssgages wont stay openGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jwica

jwica New Member This Topic's Starter

i am having an issue that just recently started. when i get a text message with an image attached i can open and view the pict but it only stays open for a few seconds then disappears. this is very frustrating. I never had this problem before it just started recently.

I really like my phone, but my patience is running thin.

Please help

Advertisement
  2. 2guys1droid

2guys1droid Member

if you hold down on the image for a bit it should give you the option to save it to sd card.. from here you can either view it for however long you want and then delete it or just keep it forever

hope that helps

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

By opening it in messaging you're basically previewing the picture with options available in the long-press menu.

4. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem, and this DID NOT happen before the last OTA. What is happening is pictures in messages SENT and RECIEVED are now slide shows with a 5 second time per picture. When you take a picture with your camera and send it in a message it too is now popping up at a slide show, where it lets you type captions.

Before the OTA a few weeks ago, this did not happen. Pictures in messages when opened, would stay open. Pictures taken with the camera and added to a message would default as just a picture and not a slide.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS CHANGE, how do we fix this?

5. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

I believe this because sometimes messages show up as a slideshow. I know mine sends them this way too. I wonder if it is some work around for picture size.

6. Frisco

The button on the far right of the menu, once a pic is clicked from messaging, puts the pic in the "all downloads" folder on the sd card; once there it can be dealt with just like any other pic rather than as a slide show.

7. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

What messaging app are you using stock or something else. I'm using chomp and works fine.

8. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

Our issue is, that this didn't happen before. Why are we having to save a picture, then go to our sd card and open it to view it for longer than 5 seconds? What other phone does this where you get a picture message and it only shows for 5 seconds?

@Frisco, also have you noticed... when you get a picture message, and it starts the slide show, if you hit pause (thinking you can look at the picture longer) the picture goes away/blank.

@eddieg, this is the stock version. Well the latest update of it... like I said, this only happened after the last OTA update.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

9. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Does it on my droid x
    but for some reason it doesn't do it all the time

10. Frisco

Stock.

My wife and her sister were sending me pix from the Bon Jovi concert in Chicago the other night and they all worked fine. Some of them were sent two or three at a time so I let the slide show work; it was great. Others I looked at and either put on my sd card or left in the messaging app for later deletion.

I don't see it as something that needs to be fixed, but there are other messaging applications; Chomp was mentioned as not having this feature.

11. nearzealot

nearzealot Member

I am having this same issue. When I get a txt pic w/a caption & hand the phone to someone so they can see, it disappears. Ya I can save it to SD but then the caption is gone, and I have to take the phone back, go to photos, wait for THOSE to load, and show it that way. And as others have said, this didn't happen before the update.

12. lisadawn

lisadawn Well-Known Member

same here......i find it very frustrating!

13. Frisco

I'd recommend changing the review time to "no limit," or perhaps some number in seconds you're more comfortable with.

It's in the Camera menu; fire up the camera then click menu then click the little gear-looking icon and scroll down to review time.

There are a lot of settings in there. Five seconds is the default.

There is also a menu in the "photos" app: menu > settings > slideshow > playback speed, which offers "fast," "medium" and "slow."

14. nearzealot

nearzealot Member

Thanks Frisco; unfortunately those settings did not do the trick. I found a setting the other day having something to do w/review duration, in a different location. I got my pics to stay for 10 secs instead of 5. Can't find that setting now to apply it to our other Eris...

15. Frisco

Perhaps it is in the "gallery" application menu. I've removed that app, so I can't check.

16. nearzealot

nearzealot Member

Mmmm, nope. I don't have that app.

17. Frisco

Searching around other forums I see that the 5 second slide show complaint for pix received via messaging is common in 2.1, and across many Android devices, not just Eris.

Handsent and Chomp are being recommended (this goes back to May, by the way).

18. jwica

jwica New Member This Topic's Starter

DFA! and Lisadawn,

exactly! very frustrating.

and yes, it started to happen after the last update. I spoke to my rep at Verizon and it happens to his phone also...he has no answer.

one thing to check...does it happen to old photos? ones you received before the recent update? mine will stay open, no issues. so its fixable and definitely needs to be addresses

19. cwk

cwk Active Member

Are change logs included in updates? This is a fairly drastic change in behavior, not to mention being really annoying if you don't know it's coming. In fact, it's still pretty annoying. You can't zoom a slideshow, and it disappears.

20. wyzird

wyzird Well-Known Member

I find that if you long press on the pic, a menu will come up, press "View Flat Slideshow", it will bring up the pic for however long you want.

21. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can also pause the slide show if you want to look at a pic longer, just move your finger over the pic and you will see a pause option, at least that is the way it works with my phone, I am on EE 3.0.

22. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

Every time I use the pause button the picture goes away, and I just get a black screen ;( grrr... With simple issues like this, it makes me wonder who up in Google is thinking "Hey this would be a great idea! Lets limit the amount of time a picture message stays up because we don't think the user will want to look at it more than 5 seconds"

23. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

Sadly it seems like something google would do. I like 90 % of the things they do but once and a while they make a bonehead decision like this and stuburnly won't fix it.

24. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

To be fair, its called a slideshow. Which obviously changes pics/slides automatically. However, it would be nice of Google to let us freely enable and disable it.

25. richie65x

richie65x New Member

Just found out that the Messaging app on my HTC G2 has this 5 second view for image files... I called T-Mo and after digging around their KB's, their resolution was that it is supposed to do this. ?!?!? :confused:

The rep suggested that the best workaround was to DL 'Save MMS'... Though that does nothing more than automatically save the image files... You still need to go to the gallery to view the pics as opposed to being able to see them from within the Messaging app - So... Useless. :(

They (T-Mo rep) seemed surprised that this was happening at first, but was ignorant of how this worked in previous versions. :eek:

She indicated that if it continues to be a problem that they would have to contact Android for resolution. :cool:

So if enough people complain... ;)

I'm using Handcent now, but am baffled as to how such a craptastic change to the Messaging app was allowed to happen in the first place. :mad: