• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Picsfrom today: Galaxy Nexus & Rezound Cameras

just face it, the nexus does not have a good camera

I agree wholeheartedly. I am used to my Dinc camera and the quality of this camera is a MAJOR downgrade. It's grainy and very difficult to focus enough to get a clear picture. It is the ONE thing that has me seriously considering exchanging for the Rizound.

Reactions: MoPhoMan
Upvote 0
I'd work on focus and cleaning the screen IMHO.

None of my SGN pics look as bad as what you have posted, not even close.

Even if his GNex pics aren't too great - his Rezound pics look very good - so even if the GNex can take better pics, it's obviously not very "easy" to do so .

Can you SYNTRIX post your GNex pics - any examples if they are much better than the original poster's GNex pictures?

Reactions: leebee
Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing. Without any further details and being a very amateurish photographer, I'd say the Nexus appears to be washed out a bit. WB maybe?

MPs only matter referencing the sensor of the camera. A 5MP camera with a sensor designed for 5MP will be better than a 10MP camera with the same 5MP sensor. All the components need to be in sync with one another. Unfortunately, a phone will not have most of these components.

The only time I will use my phone as a camera is for candid spur of the moment pictures. Like taking my daughter to the mall, she sneezes, and has snot hanging from her nose to the floor. Otherwise, my EOS is with me to take pictures.

Upvote 0
I totally agree. Are people in denial? The very first pics I saw from a Nexus were great. I think it was some unveiling in Hong Kong.

Ever since then, every pic has been terrible.

The above pics show just how bad the Nexus camera is.

My question is, were you focusing before snapping the pics? i.e. tapping on teh screen and getting a green square?

I brought to a Verizon store an Epic Touch 4G that we have left over from a Sprint trial to compare tp the GNex (love the ET4G but Sprint was horribly slow in our area, so wish VZW would release a GS2!)

Taking several pics in the store , the GNex just couldn't come close to the Galaxy S2 Epic Touch. We use the ET4G wi-fi only while waiting for VZW to release a decent phone (use an original Droid when not on Wi-Fi while also waiting for a VZW upgrade).

The best GNex pics came from setting it so Florescent mode while in the store - but still the pics weren't that good at all - just not horrible as they were mostly when using Auto scene mode.

Perhaps if you really tweak the settings and have something to rest the GNex on to keep it totally still it may take better pics but that's not practical. I don't need a camera in a phone or expect top notch digital dedicated camera quality - but after having the ET4G for a few months - it's a huge letdown to have such a lame camera in the GNex (especially for the next 2 yrs).

The other kills for the GNex - the super weak speaker. The Galaxy S2 speaker isn't great but at least it's decent enough where the GNex speaker is even quieter or as low as the Galaxy S which previously has been the lowest volume speaker I've come across.

Thinking about going with the Rezound, hopeing for ICS via CyanogeMod down the line and / or giving it to my wife when the next decent Verizon device is released (Galaxy III - pls let Verizon get it!) .

I don't replace our dedicated camera with the phone but with a nice camera like the ET4G , it does well for many pics , I can't see even keeping pics long term that are of the GNex quality...... For those that either don't get out much and have nothing to take pictures of or ALWAYS have their dedicated cameras on them - then no prob I guess.....

Same on the speaker for those that keep their phone always on vibrate.

Two easy items that have the GS2 features in the cam and speaker - why couldn't the almighty GNexus feature these simple items??????

or VZW release a GS2 variant??????

Very nerve racking after waiting all year for a new VZW device - 1s the Bionic wait and letdown, now the GNex (plus a phone I LOVE with Sprint but wasn't usable away from Wi-Fi thanks to the Sprint network in our area!).

Frustrating year! Wasted last "NE2" upgrade for nearly a year on VZW and now those early upgrades are gone! ......

1st VZW releases the T-Bolt (a year old Evo with LTE), the delay of the Bionic which ends up being a bust, the GNex with a joke of a camera and speaker.....

Can't believe my top choice is the Rezound... (Razr w/o a replaceable battery isn't an option for me and after the Bionic - blur and the camera, not even interested in the Razr at all).

Anyone know how to hack an ET4G onto VZW? I'd be happy with VZW 3G on an Epic touch with Verizon :)

Thanks for all for posting camera sample pics!

Upvote 0
I've noticed the stock camera app (kinda how it was on my Bionic) is totally not up to par with 3rd party like Vignette. I started using Vignette I think on the 2nd day of owning the Nexus and it takes beautiful pictures, especially if I let it refocus automatically.

In your pictures though, im not gonna be a fanboy, but the rezound to me looks 10x better.

But here are pictures I just took with my Nexus using Vignette .. you be the judge :)

1324303173993.jpg

1324303193928.jpg

1324303210371.jpg

1324303231838.jpg

1324303307997.jpg

2 INSIDE shots

1324304093824-1.jpg

1324304128391-1.jpg

Reactions: leebee
Upvote 0
Pics from yesterday around toledo from the nexus' point of view

wow your pics are very nice, I looked at your other pics - one had meta tag data stating it was taken with a Droid X and looked super.

You must be quite the photo expert (compared to the avg person at least) - with the photos appearing much better from any other Droid X user and the GNex pics you posted as well . I noticed no flash was used on a few of the pics I downloaded and viewed the detailed data...

If I was able to get pics like that out of the GNex in my trials, then I imagine i'd be able to get super pis from the Epic Touch (which I'm satisfied with already though they aren't super, they are all very good and easy to get good results).

So what's the trick to get decent GNex pics? Did you manually go into the settings? Or use post pic processing? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I brought to a Verizon store an Epic Touch 4G that we have left over from a Sprint trial to compare tp the GNex (love the ET4G but Sprint was horribly slow in our area, so wish VZW would release a GS2!)

Taking several pics in the store , the GNex just couldn't come close to the Galaxy S2 Epic Touch. We use the ET4G wi-fi only while waiting for VZW to release a decent phone (use an original Droid when not on Wi-Fi while also waiting for a VZW upgrade).

The best GNex pics came from setting it so Florescent mode while in the store - but still the pics weren't that good at all - just not horrible as they were mostly when using Auto scene mode.

Perhaps if you really tweak the settings and have something to rest the GNex on to keep it totally still it may take better pics but that's not practical. I don't need a camera in a phone or expect top notch digital dedicated camera quality - but after having the ET4G for a few months - it's a huge letdown to have such a lame camera in the GNex (especially for the next 2 yrs).

The other kills for the GNex - the super weak speaker. The Galaxy S2 speaker isn't great but at least it's decent enough where the GNex speaker is even quieter or as low as the Galaxy S which previously has been the lowest volume speaker I've come across.

Thinking about going with the Rezound, hopeing for ICS via CyanogeMod down the line and / or giving it to my wife when the next decent Verizon device is released (Galaxy III - pls let Verizon get it!) .

I don't replace our dedicated camera with the phone but with a nice camera like the ET4G , it does well for many pics , I can't see even keeping pics long term that are of the GNex quality...... For those that either don't get out much and have nothing to take pictures of or ALWAYS have their dedicated cameras on them - then no prob I guess.....

Same on the speaker for those that keep their phone always on vibrate.

Two easy items that have the GS2 features in the cam and speaker - why couldn't the almighty GNexus feature these simple items??????

or VZW release a GS2 variant??????

Very nerve racking after waiting all year for a new VZW device - 1s the Bionic wait and letdown, now the GNex (plus a phone I LOVE with Sprint but wasn't usable away from Wi-Fi thanks to the Sprint network in our area!).

Frustrating year! Wasted last "NE2" upgrade for nearly a year on VZW and now those early upgrades are gone! ......

1st VZW releases the T-Bolt (a year old Evo with LTE), the delay of the Bionic which ends up being a bust, the GNex with a joke of a camera and speaker.....

Can't believe my top choice is the Rezound... (Razr w/o a replaceable battery isn't an option for me and after the Bionic - blur and the camera, not even interested in the Razr at all).

Anyone know how to hack an ET4G onto VZW? I'd be happy with VZW 3G on an Epic touch with Verizon :)

Thanks for all for posting camera sample pics!

I feel your concern on the camera ans speaker. But everything else about the phone is pretty damn nice. From the little things of how it slides into your pocket abd The sleek look of the screen ti the speed of the browser.. its second to none.

But before you change out the phone entirely
your two concerns:
1. Download volume+ app. And all your speaker problems are over.go to speaker settings, Enable speaker modifications ,Set the speakers EQ settings to treble boost or good quality and set the volume to 8 or 9.

2. I'm not sure if its just me, but viewing a picture after it was taken looked great but viewing it from the library looks a little washed out. I've heard it looks better once on the CPU or sent in a file. But I have yet to try. At any rate. The camera isn't the best. But its nit horrible, especially after tapping the screen for focus.

But make sure you try another camera application from the market before passing all judgement.

That's my2¢

Upvote 0
Thanks......
The X was a good camera in daylight, low light it was all rainbow noise. The Nexus isnt going to be as good in daylight but the focusing is a million times better and overall I think of the nexus as a better camera despite 3 lower megapixels.

I always tap to focus on what I want first, and sometimes you will want to be patient as I noticed sometimes the focus can be slower to get the absolute best focus. Most of my shots are with no flash...I dont like flash...to me, its evil, but I do need to use it to get noiseless shots of people in very dark environments.

The only time I mess with the settings is when something is obvious, like on the disney on ice shots I shot with an exposure of -2 and -3 because at 0, the crowd was visible and the characters were bright white angels...honestly could have used more settings. White balance of auto seems to be pretty good so far from what ive seen, what I manually change it to looks the same as what auto had decided, but mind you ive only had the phone for 3 days.

Reactions: streetfish
Upvote 0
There is no doubt in the pics taken by OP the rezound pics are much better, but there was an article done by someone/website comparing the gnex camera to the the 4S and another camera(I dont remember which one). In this comparison the gnex pics were very good (far better then the OPs) and almost as good as the 4S's pics. I don't know what he was doing to get these pics, but they were VERY good. Sorry I don't have/remember the link, I believe it might have been in the pre-release thread.

Edit: Here is the link from ZDNet Comparison

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phon...a-better-than-you-may-have-heard-gallery/7030

Upvote 0
You're going to get better pictures indoors with the Rezound because it has a larger aperture. f/2.2 for Rezound and I think f/2.8 for Nexus. That's fairly significant. Allows a faster shutter and more light in places where it is right on the border of being too low of lighting conditions. In your indoor pics, that's where you are seeing a difference. Outdoor pics look virtually the same. There's a bit of difference in processing on both that the software does and it appears to add a little more saturation on the Rezound as some pics of the Nexus look a tad washed out. However, with the on phone editing tools on the Nexus you should be able to do a quick edit and have pics looking very good. I have no complaints over the quality of pics mine takes.

Reactions: MoPhoMan
Upvote 0
Am I reading this right but are people using how well a phone's camera is as a deal breaker in choosing a phone? Lol

The camera is not a deal breaker to me, but I could understand why it would be to others.

I RARELY make calls on my phone. I primarily use my phone for consuming media, whether that be browsing the web or using apps. I also like having the option to take pictures while I am out with friends or out for a hike.

The fact is, if one really wanted to take pictures, there are other smart phones that have a MUCH better camera. It isn't like people are saying, "Oh, I am going to ditch my Nexus and go back to some old school phone that can do 1/3 of what the Nexus can do." They are ditching the nexus and going to a phone that can do almost all of the same stuff, has a better camera, but currently lacks ICS.

Based on how they use their phone, they are probably trading very little switching from the Nexus. So, in my opinion, it is probably very reasonable for some people to think a bad camera is a deal breaker.

NOTE: Just to clarify, I am very happy with my Nexus so far. I don't think it is a perfect phone, among some of my other complaints, I think the camera is lacking, but it works for me.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to take widescreen photos with the gnex?

I also feel that out of the first set of photos the rezound is out of the park better. I get my gnex today so hopefully my story will be different. I don't carry a camera everywhere I go in my pocket, so a nice camera phone is something i prefer.

If you don't mind, come back to this thread after you get your G-Nex today and let us know how it performs from a camera aspect. I would love to hear if it does better than what mine has been doing.

Upvote 0
Is there settings to make the gnex loook similar to the rezound. Although those photos look more saturated or w/e everyone thinks, I actually think the rezound pictures pop better. Maybe I don't know anything about photography but I guess its just preference. I don't have a problem with gnex quality of photos, they just look dull, is that what the real world really looks like?

Upvote 0
I too had the Rezound and returned it for the Nexus and the one area that the Rezound was better was the camera but I'm not disappointed in the Nexus in fact after all the sample photos and reviews of the Nexus I was expecting worse.
Before my Rezound I had an Incredible and Thunderbolt and I was happy with both cameras for what I use it for which is nothing but social and family events mostly . The Nexus is much better then both of those phones but not as good as the Rezound

One area that I love about the NExus is how much faster the camera is helps when I try to grab a picture of one of my Niece/nephews or dogs

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones