Picture Caller I.D. Question??Support

Last Updated:

1. mario8267

mario8267 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know why some contact pictures are blurry when they show up on caller i.d. and some aren't? Some of the pictures that are blurry are from facebook and from my pictures album. Although, not all facebook contacts come in blurry.... some are perfect? This may sound like a small problem but an annoying one! Does anyone know why are how to fix this?

Advertisement
  2. gavin77

gavin77 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's just the way it works with the stock HTC app. There is an app in the market that you can download to fix your problem.......I can't think of what its called right now though.......someone else chime in......or you can do a search about caller id photos, etc., and I'm sure there are tons of other threads about this issue that would provide you with the name of the app I'm thinking of......good luck.....

3. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

If the photo comes from the caller's facebook profile pic, it often looks pixelated, since it's a low resolution source.

4. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

^^^^ I agree with AG

5. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

Mine show up with artifacts even with high resolution pictures from an actual digital camera. So size of the original pictures doesn't seem to be the issue. . .

6. leebsammy

leebsammy Well-Known Member

Syncmypix in the market... Works for some, allows you to choose if you want it to download high or low rez pics from facebook. And you can set it to auto update daily, weekly, etc.... After trying this i still had the low res issue myself but some say it works for them.

7. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

How about this, i took the pics from my inc camera, it is blurry when i use those as contact pics.

8. CFD323

CFD323 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've used high-res pics for caller ID's and still shows pixelated....

9. mario8267

mario8267 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love my phone and not comparing it to my old phones, but with my old iphone and palm pre plus the same pictures that were pulled from facebook or photo album showed up just fine compared to the Incredible.....and this is a much much better phone......... hmmmmm. I have even tried the work arounds and have had no luck. Just seems this should be a major function of this phone without having to do workarounds that take forever.

10. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

It's Google's fault. Google contacts have a 96x96 size picture. Our phones use 256x256 resolution pics for contacts, so when it pulls the 96x96 one from Google (something it does every time it syncs), it blows it up and naturally it looks pixelated.

Easy fix:

Settings > Accounts & sync > Google > uncheck sync contacts

Now it won't pull 96x96 images from Google anymore, and your facebook or camera chosen photos will remain 256x256.

11. ttamnedlog

A slight further explanation as to why it happens:

Even when you choose to use camera or facebook pics, if you have your contacts listed as "Google contacts" (which I'm sure 99% of us do), those pics get sent to Google's server and downgraded to 96x96. Now the next time things sync, those downgraded pics get put BACK on our phone and overwrite our high res ones.

The only true fix is for Google to store higher res pics on their servers. In the mean time, we simply shouldn't sync with it.

12. satoqui

satoqui New Member

So how do you uncheck sync contact ? I went into account & sync under settings but didn't see any check boxes

13. ttamnedlog

You almost made it. Once there, you have to go into the Google menu from within Accounts & sync. THERE you'll see checkboxes.

satoqui likes this.