• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Picture Mail Being Discontinued 04/30/2012

I love how notices appear in your inbox a week or two after they were released, if you get one at all...

Picture Mail online storage is being discontinued 4/30/12. - 01/20/12
Picture Mail online storage is being discontinued 4/30/12. It's important you move the pictures and videos you want to keep to your PC or to your favorite photo or social networking site before 4/30/12. Visit sprint.com/picturemail for more information.
I logged into the service once to setup my account and never went back. I won't miss the service but this is a heads up to those who may rely on it.

WTH is picturemail? They just come to phone and I get them from there. Why would I need Sprint to keep a storage space for them? :dunno:
Your guess is as good as mine. I figure this service was useful before sharing media was so easy. Now that almost anyone with a smartphone can receive and distribute media to any person or site with a few clicks they find its usefulness gone. People with older phones will probably feel this loss the most.

Upvote 0
Lol, duh! At first when I read this I thought it meant we would no longer be able to send or receive pictures! I think I still have some stuff out there, too, from back when you could send photos to a Walgreens anywhere in the country through Sprint and a friend or relative who lived far away could pick them up. I didn't even know they still did that and had forgotten all about it.

Upvote 0
WTH is picturemail? They just come to phone and I get them from there. Why would I need Sprint to keep a storage space for them? :dunno:

Picture Mail, as someone else noted, is a relic of the featurephone era and allowed you to easily share pics from your phone's camera. I used it some when I had an old Sanyo phone, but totally forgot about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones