• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

picture messages??

aaronmach1

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
michigan usa
how come when i recieve pic texts they show up with a play button and then i click the play button and i can only view them for like 3 seconds then the screen goes black and the text that was with it shows up on the black screen? is there any way to view them like other phones normally so they dont go away after 3 seconds, without saving them to my sd card everytime?
Also when somone sends me a message with a vid or pic with sound either the vid dont play or the sound dont work but the bar at the bottom will show that its playing.whats up with this?

I know exactly what you are talking about. It is quite annoying. I installed Handcent SMS and an option in the app is if you longpress the MMS, it will give you an option to play the pic message in a 'flat slideshow' or something like that. Or to view it normally, which will result in the same way the stock Messaging app works.
I really don't know of any other way to fix the problem you are referring to using the stock app though.

Edit: The video & sounds problem happens to me as well. Lets say I get a picture message with sound attached, it will play the sound file after the picture has been displayed. Not a HUGE deal, but if the sound file is supposed to be synced with the picture, it kind of screws up the whole message.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. But mine will start the slideshow and only one picture will play and the slide show ends. I had a slideshow with 9 pictures and only the last pic would play for about 3 sec. but all the pics can be downloaded to the sd card. kind off a pain in the butt to have to go back and forth to see all the pics that should be scrolling.

Upvote 0
I have the same issues and have noticed that it this only happens when anyone outside of Verizon sends me an MMS. When my wife sends me a pic message with her Voyager, it displays like a normal pic and lets me view it for as long as I want in portrait or landscape mode. But when one of my friends sends me a pic message from his Rant (on Sprint), it does this slideshow thing and I can only see if as a 3 second clip, so I have to pause it to see it. Pretty annoying, actually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones