Pinch zoom in Google Maps and this darn clicking sound.General

Last Updated:

1. slide13

slide13 Member This Topic's Starter

So I just picked up my Eris yesterday. For the most part it is working great right now but a couple things are a little annoying.

First, pinch zoom isn't working in the Google Maps app. Should it? Works great in the browser when surfing the web but not in maps for some reason.

Second, it clicks at me. For example, I'll hit the red power/call end button when I'm done using it to turn off the display. Then I'll set it down on the table or something and it makes these little intermittent click sounds just sitting there. After 5 minutes or so it stops. It isn't constant, just a couple clicks ever 10-30 seconds for a little bit then stops. no idea what that is.

Advertisement
  2. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Is the clicking a physical/hardware noise? Or is it software (a.k.a. coming from the speaker)?

FYI I have no random clicking noises like that... The only clicking I have is when I actually click on stuff, because I set it to do so in the options.

Strange... you might want to exchange it, doesn't sound right either way...

3. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I've never had any clicking noises.

4. slide13

not speaker related, should have made that clear, sorry. it sounds like a little something is rattling back/forth in there. I was wondering if it was the position sensor maybe or something similar to that. I don't know, may have to run back to Verizon store today to see what they say.

5. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely do that. The phone's hardware should not be making any noises. It is whisper quiet ;)

6. slide13

What about the pinch zoom issue....that should be working in maps right?

7. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

No.

8. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Mine does not. I can only drag the map or if I tap it zooms in. No pinch zoom for me.

9. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

once we have root we`ll be able to pinch and zoom! :)
    support your local android hacker!....hmmm, im making that my new sig! :)

10. slide13

ok, cool. Thanks for the help everyone. I just figured the pinch zoom would work, but to be honest I don't much care. Would be hard to do while driving anyway :)

Still making those weird clicky sounds so I'll run it back to Verizon and see what they can do for me.

11. jmastron

jmastron Well-Known Member

The version of Google Maps on the Android (at least 1.5 in the Eris) is not the same as the one on the iPhone. It doesn't support pinch zoom, and doesn't allow you to have traffic overlaid on the satellite view (you have to select a radio button between map, satellite, or map+traffic), both of which the iPhone version support.

Not sure if these are things Apple spec'ed, limitations on hardware, limitations on network bandwidth, or just related to what version is where.

12. slide13

Just to update I went back to Verizon today and had them take a look at the phone. They agreed it probably shouldn't do that as none of the others I checked did. Replaced the phone and new one is working great. Thanks for the help!