Pinch-zoom vs multi-touch

Last Updated:

1. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe it's just semantics, but I feel the need to see how others feel about this...
    I have always loathed the computer term "cut and paste" because you actually COPY and paste, at least that goes for 99.999% of my usage with those functions.
    So now the question is, do we apply the same reverse terminology to this fictional, mystical, function, that we have only seen in fuzzy Youtube videos? The reason I ask this is.... the initial view of any web page that I visit, I see the whole page, and if I want to be able to read a particular column I would need to zoom into it, but here is where the terminology gets confusing, because in my experience with other devices that use such technology ie: iPod, to zoom in you actually use a stretch motion to zoom in, and a pinch motion to zoom out.
    I know... semantics, you have to pinch to make it zoom one way or the other, but since the most commonly used zoom feature would be to zoom in, it should be called stretch-zoom instead.

So how do you feel?
    Pinch-zoom
    Stretch-zoom
    or just plain old Multi-touch:confused:

Advertisement
  2. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

well multi-touch applies to alot more then just pinch-zoom, I kind of hate how people confuse the two. . .

and . . .

stretch-zoom sounds lame lol

3. bigtimelew

bigtimelew Member

this is the most pointless thread i've ever seen created

4. JP 818

JP 818 Active Member

5. &roid

That was the most pointless response, to the most pointless thread I've ever seen created.

6. bigtimelew

bigtimelew Member

glad we're on the same page

7. GtRacerH

GtRacerH Well-Known Member

. <

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If you hadn't created the most pointless thread ever no one would have responded.

9. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

Semantics? OK I'm game.

First of all about cut and paste, just because you use cut more than copy doesn't mean everyone else does. Personally I use cut and paste way more than copy, probably 75% cut, 25% copy. However, I think there is a lot more drag and drop being performed nowadays. But if you are so concerned with the semantics of it, you are free to say copy and paste and everyone will still understand. But seriously, why does cut reign supreme? It's monosyllabic.

As far as pinch to zoom, it is still correct as far as semantics are concerned, but perhaps pinch to zoom out would be more proper. Certainly in a web browser zoom in is more common, but this is not the only place it is implemented. For example I use PhoneMyPc very often and I would say I pinch just as much as I stretch. (Galery etc., etc.) However the main reason I believe it has to be called pinch is because that's something you do almost exclusively with your fingers. I think a loaf would be a close second. If you picked up an Iphone or w/e for the first time and someone was teaching you to use it and they said stretch to zoom you would certainly need clarification. Pinch zoom works, stretch zoom is definitely lame and multitouch... I won't touch that.

A wise man once told me that nothing is a waste of time as long as you learn something from it. This certainly applies to this thread ;)

10. &roid

No..... THAT, was the most pointless.........

11. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

I actually really like to ctrl-x and then ctrl-v versus the ctrl-c and ctrl-v combo.

12. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Um, me and my friends use both cut and paste, and copy and paste. Depending on which we do..

13. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I prefer to retype everything manually. Not really.

14. Unclebill

Unclebill Active Member

I think "cut and paste" is part of the language anymore ... you're not going to change that. We all understand that it could mean "copy and paste" or "delete and replace", but I think we're all going to have to live with the term "cut and paste".

As to stretch, pinch or multi ... I prefer "pinch zoom" ... sounds more like a computer function than "stretch zoom" which sounds like some kind of exercise term. I think of "multi touch" as double clicking or something similar.

15. blinky

blinky Well-Known Member

Um, pinch is multi-touch.

16. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

actually, if he truly had created the most pointless thread ever, no one would have responded
    i'd say - tho' not always incrementally correlative - the presence of responses indicates it's not the most pointless thread ever