Pinch Zooming On X10 Q1 2011General

Last Updated:

1. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Wow..I thought we were hardware limited. Personally I don't care for the feature but i know a lot of people do :)

3. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

Wow, let's get started...the MT flames are coming strong....But that's the least they could do now that we have 2.1

What about the "device limitations" that they claimed all year long?

edit: after reading the blog, they AT LAST reacted to the user demand.

4. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I think he makes clear that you can't do full multi-touch so I am guessing that this is where the hardware limitations come in.

The only thing that I would criticise is say Q1 because from midnight 1st January people are going to start banging on about where's my update. I will have only just got over the trauma of 2.1!

5. clockwork58

clockwork58 Well-Known Member

Hey. Something is better than nothing. So to get the feature for maps and browser for something that was initially never promised is nice. I won't be bitching at SE if they deliver late.

Looks like their 1 developer has some skill.:p

6. ankh

ankh Well-Known Member

I said on this forum a while back about the x10 being able to do MT and that it was just down to software. I guess I was correct (well my dads friend who works for a phone company) was correct.

wynney666 likes this.
  7. Wisenos

Wisenos Well-Known Member

i've always knew it was a software-related :p

8. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

XDA showed that the screen was indeed MT able, but the only way to "activate" it would be a reflash of the screen rom and without the hardware that is used to create the chip it would be near impossible to get it. I guess that's what they are working on a "reflash" of the screen chip

9. wynney666

wynney666 Well-Known Member

HELLLOO!! lol
    Great feature, roll on Q1 - but lets face it when they say q1 they mean feb march not jan feb lol
    But still Great news :)

10. OmniCoRp

OmniCoRp Well-Known Member

Just taking a wild guess here...

They say update will be Q1 2011, so i can expect to get this in about Q3-4?

No hurry for me then ;)

And if it is only for zooming, and not allround multitouch, i don't relly care so much about it anyway.

11. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

Well what else would you realistically need multi-touch for

Oh and to go back about 2 months when i related multi-touch to another companys patent application, i wonder if tgis is coming about because that patent wasn't granted in full

Mmmmmmmm but hey i don't care - will be on the X12 (anzu) by then

12. JDwan

JDwan Well-Known Member

Game emulators require mutlitouch for simultaneous button presses. He did say in the blog though that this probably won't work after the "multitouch" update. :(

13. MrWomble

Yeah they do but that is not a dire NEED of multitouch on the handset - just a benefit

14. JDwan

JDwan Well-Known Member

True, but you NEED MT if you want to play those games on your phone. Didn't think we were playing the semantics game. ;)

15. MrWomble

No, seems we are - as games are an OPTIONAL extra to install on the phone, as i see it, the ONLY things that specifically benefit from multitouch on a handset are

browser, web and possibly gallery

yet complaints are already coming at sony for it not being multi-touch all the time, so the question is, without the diabolical requests for it to play a game, exactly what do you NEED multi-touch on a phone for - that Sony haven't already covered

16. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

Well considering AT&T does NOT even know if we will get 2.1, you can imagine how they will react to this news. SE Q1 2011 = AT&T whenever??????????

Gotta love AT&T, NOT...........

17. MrWomble

And i'm guessing the words SPRINT - VERIZON - and whoever else, get the same disapproval in the states then ?

18. JDwan

JDwan Well-Known Member

I never said I didn't agree with you, just saying what people might claim. I can't really think of any other uses (maybe for file managers?) than what they claim to be giving us access to.

I see MT as more of a gimmick anyway, it can be useful at times but you don't really need it (as you've been saying). I didn't really see the big deal in having it in the phone but I'm also for people having the option to use it rather than not. I mean, isn't that what Android is about? Options/freedom?

19. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

Hey Gunny, I'm surprised you did not debrand yet!

20. ECBomb

ECBomb Well-Known Member

How much do you guys think this was planned all along? SE seems to be taking a page out of Apple's marketing handbook. Making new features for the device sound revolutionary...

SE:
    1) "So we present to you this cutting edge device with GREAT looks and will sport the 1st 8.1 MP camera on an Android phone. Multi-Touch and 16M colours are just firmware 1.6 limitations."

2) "We will for sure be supporting Android 2.1 later on this year."

3) "We will be adding 720p video recording capabilities to our already great multimedia device!"

4) "The 2.1 firmware is going to feature some industry leading features such as 5 pages on the homescreen, live wallpapers, homescreen previews, and an all new app drawer button."

5) "I can now say that multi touch will be included in an OTA in Q1 2011. This further shows our commitment to our customers and that we listen to the community."

I feel like this is just a planned out execution. They just wanna give us bits and pieces here and there just so we think they care for us and they can try to keep the phone "fresh" with these so called new features. Anyone agree?

21. JDwan

JDwan Well-Known Member

That sounds.........scarily probable. I'm sure the next step will be "Oh, to further prove our commitment we will be releasing Android 2.2 sometime in 2011........to mark the anniversary of us giving our customers Android 2.1" :p Meanwhile most of us are running 2.2 already courtesy of the excellent developers over at XDA.

22. gunny5821

I am waiting for someone in the states to come forth and say the following (or something close, lol):

Phone: X10A
    Carrier: AT&T
    Remarks: Have successfully debranded (and rooted if need be) and everything is working as if AT&T had done the release themselves.:mad:

Problem is, I do not know of anyone who can make the above claims. So I wait and watch everyone else having a blast. Go figure, LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MrWomble,

Regarding the other carriers in the states, as far as I know, AT&T is the only carrier with the X10A. No one else has it, lucky them, lol...

23. gunny5821

WOW, that is exactly what the CSR told me when I discussed the phone prior to purchase. Where did you get the que cards from? LOL.......:eek:

24. disambiguation

disambiguation Well-Known Member

Aside from games, for me it's:

1) For much, much easier and quicker browsing of the internet (the + - to Zoom doesn't cut it and gets in the way, and you need to move the screen for it to come up)

2) For much quicker texting. I'm pressing with my right thumb as my left thumb is still leaving the screen, and back then on with my left thumb before the right leaves the screen. This fails without multi-touch (typing is 1.5 times quicker on my iPod touch).

25. werthers

werthers Well-Known Member

By that logic why do you need a touch screen, why do you need a colour screen, why do you need an SD card these are just optional add ons? You can still use a phone without all these.

Multitouch is better than no multitouch and its a smartphone marketed as a top of the range phone. When I got my X10 I presumed it would be multitouch, the iphone 3 and htcs were but this is my first smartphone so next time I'll be more careful.

Don't get me wrong the X10 is a good phone (even better with 2.1) but it could have and should have been better.

I doubt it, it's a pretty bad plan... be behind most companies, to me it's SE playing catch up but marketed as progress.

northernale1 likes this.