• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PingChat! FOR ANDROID! (BBM-ish app)

One question, does PingChat! use data (3g and wifi) or how exactly does it work? Does pingchat use SMS and MMS from my phone to their servers, and then route the data to all recipients? Or does it send messages through an online stream? Just wondering because my data add-on isn't extremely substantial in this regard.
PingChat! uses push notifications to make messaging to mobile devices quick and simple. It uses a unique Ping! ID and sends messages for free using your existing data plan (3G/Edge) or Wi-Fi when available.

So, providing you have either a Wifi or 3G connection you can use Pingchat to send send text, photos, videos, voice memos, interviews and group applications.

I want to use pingchat! A lot of my friends and co-workers have BB/iphones, so this would be very useful in keeping in touch with them. From the problems mentioned, like taking hours to receive a message from the iphone, i cant afford that. Anyone else having problems of this sort?
All my messages are received practically instantaneous by my receivers. That includes both Android & i-Phone users.

Reactions: imjehh and barqers
Upvote 0
PingChat! uses push notifications to make messaging to mobile devices quick and simple. It uses a unique Ping! ID and sends messages for free using your existing data plan (3G/Edge) or Wi-Fi when available.

So, providing you have either a Wifi or 3G connection you can use Pingchat to send send text, photos, videos, voice memos, interviews and group applications.

All my messages are received practically instantaneous by my receivers. That includes both Android & i-Phone users.

Thank you for your info! I just have one more question for you: How much data does Pingchat! use? Since I don't have unlimited data on my 3G connection.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your info! I just have one more question for you: How much data does Pingchat! use? Since I don't have unlimited data on my 3G connection.
Depends..... If it's just Text Messages then we are talking innocent bytes of data.
Anything else i.e. Photo's would be sent at whatever size in KB they are stored.
A tip I use when sending photo's is I use the App PicSay Pro to re-size photo's.
There is a free version also available on the Market.

Reactions: barqers
Upvote 0
Depends..... If it's just Text Messages then we are talking innocent bytes of data.
Anything else i.e. Photo's would be sent at whatever size in KB they are stored.
A tip I use when sending photo's is I use the App PicSay Pro to re-size photo's.
There is a free version also available on the Market.

Perfect! I bought that program, so I will now have to convince everyone to install PingChat! :D

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
How is battery life with this app? I heard it stays on and consumes a good deal of battery, but I am not sure of this. For those that have used this for a while, if you can fill me on some of your experiences on this, I'd appreciate it!
I was just about to switch off when your message popped up.

I've used pingchat for quite some time now.
Both my Galaxy S and Tab have absolutely zero problems with battery usage.
Pingchat sits quietly not interfering and is only called up when you want to send/receive something.

Reactions: imjehh
Upvote 0
I want to use pingchat! A lot of my friends and co-workers have BB/iphones, so this would be very useful in keeping in touch with them. From the problems mentioned, like taking hours to receive a message from the iphone, i cant afford that. Anyone else having problems of this sort?

I've encountered delays, a person's profile picture not displaying, and also the wrong date displayed.

It's not ideal, but I can't really complain too much as it's a free app.

Upvote 0
I've encountered delays, a person's profile picture not displaying, and also the wrong date displayed.

It's not ideal, but I can't really complain too much as it's a free app.

Been trying alot of apps to get all my friends that have BB's to talk to those that do not. Had the same issues with this and the lack of actual groups. Its more like sending a mass email to a bunch of people instead of a group that you can join/leave.

We have been playing with Cnectd lately and the timestamps are alot more accurate. It has actual groups that people can join/leave. I do get some lag where a bunch of messages show up at once. But it has a button where you can "sync" it and it will manually check if you have anything to be recieved. You cant send as much multimedia as pingchat but I honestly dont need that. Pics and text is fine with me.

I really want to try Beluga as soon as they get a Blackberry version out.

Upvote 0
Hi. I have a strange issue with Pingchat. I only installed it a few days ago and only have 4 buddies, but anytime any of them messages me, I get not only a notification saying I have a message, but also 4 notifications saying that each person accepted my buddy request. Now I added them days ago, and it still tells me this each and every time I get a message, verry annoying. I have to physically clear them from the notification bar to make them go away, as tapping them just brings up the Ping homescreen.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones