73 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. No

128 vote(s)
    63.7%

Last Updated:

1. Optimus Droid

Optimus Droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any of you guys experiencing pink tint to their screens?

To test it :

1. Goto htc.com and notice the colors there. It is supposed to be grey but comes across as pink.

2. Your gmail app. Open it and see it if its a little pink tinted.

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

not here!

3. xmonkey

xmonkey Well-Known Member

Gmail app is a bad test, imo (it's not a plain gray by design from what I've seen). Use messages or something.

The only time the pink problem is pronounced is if you're running low brightness.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I think perhaps when the phone tries to do a light grey, it comes off as a little bit of a pink hue. I noticed it on the htc website and in the gmail (although it works fine in the gmail), but don't notice it anywhere else. It's not until someone actually says it's on the website or something that I might notice it or strain my eyes to notice it.

5. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

Please use search. This topic has been beaten to death already. Yes, everyone has this but there is a reason for it. Please search and read.

6. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

hows your battery doing? :)

7. xmonkey

No, not every screen has it.

8. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member

I see what you mean on the HTC site, but I think it's just a matter of it struggling with the particular graphic. If you zoom in on it you'll see that it's got a pretty bad gradient to it.

Other sites with solid grays and similar colors don't appear this way.

9. Optimus Droid

Well I find it a little hard to beleive that some AMOLED screens dont have it. Any chances you guys could post a pic of your phone with HTC site open?

10. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

All AMOLED screens have it.

11. xmonkey

Really? So the 3 phones I tested against mine in Verizon stores that didn't exhibit any kind of pink hue at all (at any brightness level) were all just fakes?

12. Optimus Droid

Really. Depends on the brightness levels. Put it at the same brightness level and goto the HTC website. Post a picture if its completely gray.

13. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

Mine has it... you need to look at the htc.com site and look at the border "corners" between the YOUbanner and the white background. It's hard to notice and very slight, but its there.

I'd never have noticed. I need to stop reading forums!! (=

14. Optimus Droid

The whole HTC banner should seem a little pink depending on your brightness.

15. xmonkey

I'll check it next time I go, but the screens on the in-store ones were absolutely 100% a different color temperature than my own, at any brightness. When I lowered them to 20% blacks/grays/whites in the menus were just a dim gray with no pink tint at all, whereas mine was very clearly pink/red.

16. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

Yes.

17. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I notice a little bit on mine at htc.com

18. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

After reading all these comments, I am starting to feel a little blue..

19. barrister89

barrister89 Well-Known Member

I don't have my Incredible yet, but there is nothing inherent in oled technology that causes color inaccuracy at any brightness. To the contrary, color accuracy should be superior to LCD. I would wager a guess that any color/tint problems are related to the graphics hardware/software rather than a defective panel.

20. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

crimton likes this.
  21. xmonkey

Sorry, his conclusion doesn't make sense.

"After seeing the below pictures (thanx onkolog for posting those pics!), one can conclude that this "gray shades to strong pinkishness" issue is definitly not a general AMOLED issue, ... specifically its just an issue of AMOLED that have the PenTile implementation that can be found in the displays that has ClearPad2000 technology (Nexus One, HTC Desire and maybe others, ...)"

Incredible has a different touch sensor altogether. Listen, there are screens that demonstrate a pink/red white balance at lower brightness levels while others do not at all. This is a fact.

edit - Just look at this post to see what I'm talking about: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6321025&postcount=390

This has nothing to do with whatever the browser wants to render, that isn't what I'm talking about.

22. barrister89

barrister89 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm wrong. If the description in the link is correct, the oled panel is crippled by design from producing accurate color in order to save power. Never would have expected the need to eliminate a subpixel because on average oled displays consume about 20% less power than a backlit LCD of comparable size. Slight and occasional color inaccuracy is not an issue for me, but still surprising. Thanks for claifying the issue.

23. fish2587

fish2587 Well-Known Member

i think it simply depends on what's on the screen. when my brightness is turned all the way down, MANY white areas simply turn grayish with NO pink hue whatsoever. Other areas on a webpage or something will show a bit of a hue, just because of the shading on the site or certain area, etc. Nothing to worry about. How often are our phones turned all the way down? Mine never is, so i'll never notice it.

24. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

htc.com is the only place that I noticed it, and if you hadn't mentioned it I probably never would have. I think it has something to do with the gradient though, not the display itself..

25. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

oh no! Should I be worried? From the info, it seems pretty standard. Why are you worrying me?