1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Pintail: A Remarkable and Essential Free Application

Last Updated:

1. pauldip

pauldip New Member This Topic's Starter

[​IMG]

Introduction to Pintail

Overall, this application is a must get simply because of the "better safe than sorry" adage. Pintail aims to help you find your phone when it has been misplaced or stolen, and can come extremely handy when you find yourself in that situation. However, there are some requirements: obviously your phone has to be both powered on and have GPS running. If both of these two things are not in operation, Pintail is rendered useless.

Functionality/Practicality

To use this application, you will need to set up your own personal identification number (PIN). With this four to six digit code, Pintail is able to sync your specific phone to your specific location at any moment. As stated earlier, this application will come in handy most when your phone is stolen or lost. Imagine yourself a tourist in a busy city and suddenly notice your phone is missing. You happened to have your GPS on and was able to confront local authorities and capture the iniquitous pick-pocketer and regain possession of your prized possession and anything else they took. Also, envision another instance: you are in that foreign country, and your sister at home would like to know where you are. If she knows your PIN, she will be able to SMS your phone with the message "LOCATE (PIN)" and immediately get a text back containing a link to your coordinates in Google Maps. This is the method by which you will be able to regain the whereabouts of your phone.

Step-By-Step

First: Download the application, accept agreement, then read the instructions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next: Create your own PIN -- and this is all it takes to get the application set up.
    [​IMG]

Optional: Set the number of times your phone will be able to send out your location in a period of 24 hours. You can also set how accurate your location should be, and how accurate the location is relative to the time it is read.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Conclusions/Ratings

In summary, this application is definitely one that you should download to your Android GPS enabled phone. It doesn't take up too much space and if you make it habit to always have you GPS on when you leave the house (and have it fully charged) this application will be very useful.

Pros:
    • Very Simple to Use
    • Utilitarian, yet nice-looking
    • Practical
    • Decently accurate
    • You can actually catch criminals

Cons:
    • Needs GPS (Can't be corrected, but may not be always on)
    • GPS is a battery drainer (I have an old G1 that I am testing it out with, but maybe GPS on your phone does not use too much battery life)
    • You either need another phone with internet access to text your missing phone (or you can text your phone via email)

Ratings/Breakdown
    Design:4
    Practicality: 3.5
    Simplicity: 5
    Necessity: 4.5

Final Score: 4.3/5
    [​IMG]

P.S. This video will help you see what the application will look like in your own hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8EeegjZME

Advertisement
  2. alanlip

alanlip New Member

Just downloaded Pintail to my HTC Incredible phone. Got to the screen to input my PIN. I did so, but no way to tell application to accept the PIN that I put in. Tried Carriage Return, no luck. Not able to find an accept entry key.

Help!