pixelated contact id photos?!

Last Updated:

1. jl3297

jl3297 New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 9, 2009
    It seems that no matter what resolution/DPI i create images for contact id photos, it ALWAYS comes up choppy when the person is actually calling. When I browse to the file on the phone and view it through albums, it looks completely fine and crisp, but after i set it to a contact id, and that contact calls me the photo that comes up is all pixelated...

i have tried the on-board cropping using very high res images, as well as creating an image on photoshop with 250x250 resolution @ 72-300dpi

2. mcadam

mcadam Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Same here. No idea why. Hopefully the Dec 11 fix will affect it.
  3. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I dont have that issue but dpi is pretty indirect with digital images, if you're printing then yes, you'd like higher depending on size, but for transferring images its pretty irrelevant, so you can keep that at a constant number and not have to worry too much about it. I've done all my contacts pics from my computer and they come out great. Have you tried it that way?

Edit: Also what I do for any picture I put on my phone, is take my hi-res image and divide it's size by 4 (provided its large enough, my DSLR is 12.3MP), that way its a smaller size and it maintains it's proportions. I save that copy to the phone. Maybe doing it that way and then cropping the face or whatever part you want on the phone may help your situation?
  4. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This drives me crazy too... I think what happens is when you are cropping your image to create for the contact card, it saves the small image somewhere. Then when you receive a call, it enlarges that tiny image, which is why it looks so crappy. Doesn't seem like the best way to do it though... bleh. I wish they were clear on the call screen. :(