• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Planning to buy defy. Some general questions

Hi all,
I reside in India and I am planning to buy defy.
I want to confirm somethings before buying this.
1. Are motorola defy and motorola mb525 models same or different?
2. Does the latest stock in India come with Android 2.2 inbuilt or we need to update it after getting the phone? Also can we upgrade it to android 2.3(gingerbread)?
3. I read about ear piece problems in defy in some reviews but some other reviews mention that this problem is fixed with the latest phones released. Does any one have an update about this?
4. Some reviews mention about green lens and red lens for camera and mention that red lens is better than the green one. Will the latest phone contain red or green lens?
5.Does the defy mobiles released in India contain Motoblur? I saw many reviews against motoblur.

Thanks all in advance.

MB525 is Defy.

I wouldn't count on new phone being 2.2, shops probably have old stock to clear first. But there is an update available anyways.

It's pot luck with earpiece failure, mine was supposedly 'ok' but it happened to me. Still, it's under warranty, & is a nice phone. I suggest anyone being very gentle with the headphone jack.

Not sure what lens new phones get.

I shouldn't worry about motoblur, most of the people whining about don't even have it. imo it's more beneficial to have it, than to remove it, unless ofcourse your rom comes without, in which case you won't know!

Upvote 0
Answer: Same

2. Does the latest stock in India come with Android 2.2 inbuilt or we need to update it after getting the phone? Also can we upgrade it to android 2.3(gingerbread)?
Answer: From looking at several websites it appears it comes with 2.1 and needs to be updated to 2.2

3. I read about ear piece problems in defy in some reviews but some other reviews mention that this problem is fixed with the latest phones released. Does any one have an update about this?
Answer: I have a Defy and have never had a problem with the ear piece and I play a lot of music and take a lot of phone calls and record a lot of videos and messages. Never a problem for me.

4. Some reviews mention about green lens and red lens for camera and mention that red lens is better than the green one. Will the latest phone contain red or green lens?
Answer: The phone comes with Red/Green/Blue tints that you can cycle through for pictures on the camera, not on the camcorder.

5.Does the defy mobiles released in India contain Motoblur? I saw many reviews against motoblur.
Answer: From this website []Page Not Found - Techtree.com

Upvote 0
re: red / green lense, the OP is referring to the two different types of lens on the Defy, I think if you have green (current / earlier model) & try putting CM7 custom rom on then the camera will not work, only for red lens (later models). I think you have a code under the battery maybe try asking at XDA developers site they will know.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I reside in India and I am planning to buy defy.
I want to confirm somethings before buying this.

Thanks all in advance.
I have the DEFY and I love it. I have had no issues Blur, most people complaining about it just like to complain, and my earpiece is still working fine after about 4 months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones