• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Plastic Chrome Trim Cracked

Mine started on the opposite side, but is developing on the other side as well. I have used some superglue so hopefully it'll hold. I def. believe it is due to the usb cord being plugged in and pulling it at an angle when i use it as an alarm clock in the morning. To avoid these cracks, I recommend not using the device while attached to the charger. Since I have stopped doing this, the cracks have not changed.

Bestbuy said there were no other reported issues of this, so would not exchange it. When I directed them to this thread, they said this was not evidence of an issue. Will never buy a phone there again.

Upvote 0
Aren't you brilliant. This issue would have been prevented sooner if you had coughed up your sarcastic case post weeks ago.

Oh wait, what do you know, I just looked at my phone, and what do you know, it has a CASE on it! Funny how a case does not cover a port that needs to be used frequently... what idiot put a cut out shape right where there is a defect on the phone. Hmmm...

Upvote 0
Aren't you brilliant. This issue would have been prevented sooner if you had coughed up your sarcastic case post weeks ago.

Oh wait, what do you know, I just looked at my phone, and what do you know, it has a CASE on it! Funny how a case does not cover a port that needs to be used frequently... what idiot put a cut out shape right where there is a defect on the phone. Hmmm...

I <3 you fyi.

Upvote 0
I went to make a call today when I felt a scratch on my thumb as I was picking up my Hero. It seems that the chrome colored trim that surrounds the mini usb charging port is cracked. I haven't dropped the phone nor had any incident that would lead me to think it could have been damaged, but here was this cracked trim.
The only thing that I can even think of that possibly could have caused this is the repeated pushing on the back button that is just above that area on the lower front panel? Obviously, normal usage such as that shouldn't caused damage (especially in less than a month)

Has anyone else seen this type of damage on their phone. I have 2 more days to return it, I wonder if BB will replace it?
Thanks for the heads up. I had my phone for more than 30 days. I am still going to try and take It back. Good looking. I thought I was alone on this one.

Upvote 0
Are any of these cracked ones that say "google" or are they the htc versions? I dropped mine once, and it has a knick right next to this area that you guys are talking about, but its not cracked, thank goodness. doesnt matter...i have insurance.
My phone says htc. I had the phone for about 45 days. I never droped the phone. Sprint customer service said they will give me a refurbished phone. I said no way. I went to the Sprint store and they are telling me come back and talk to the manager so Im going there today. I also called the insurance company, they want you to pay a deductable of $100.00, and they are not sure if the phones are brand new. If the store doesnt replace my phone what should I do? I thinking Im going to have to settle with the refurbished phone. I didnt even get a discount. I paid almost $300.00 bucks with out a rebate. So I dont want a used phone if I didnt even drop the phone yet and I havent owned the phone for over 60 days and its falling apart. That sucks asssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Insurance still costs you the 50 bucks to replace the phone.

Insurance it $100 on the hero, not $50.

I am not going to replace mine as I truely feel this is a design defect and will just happen again.

I think more and more people are going to get cracks, then maybe HTC and sprint will do something about it.

Make sure to have it noted on your account that it is cracked and that you are not happy about it, but not going to get a new one through insurance. Put a dab of superglue on it and wait to see what happens.

Also, log an issue with HTC. The more people that have the issue, the higher the visibility.

Upvote 0
I went to make a call today when I felt a scratch on my thumb as I was picking up my Hero. It seems that the chrome colored trim that surrounds the mini usb charging port is cracked. I haven't dropped the phone nor had any incident that would lead me to think it could have been damaged, but here was this cracked trim.
The only thing that I can even think of that possibly could have caused this is the repeated pushing on the back button that is just above that area on the lower front panel? Obviously, normal usage such as that shouldn't caused damage (especially in less than a month)

Has anyone else seen this type of damage on their phone. I have 2 more days to return it, I wonder if BB will replace it?
I purchased my phone on Oct. 12... I went to the Sprint store where I puchased the phone and they refused to exchange my phone, because I was out of my 30 days. I explained to the assistant manager that this crack appeared on it's own. To make a long story short. I asked for a corprate number, email or address. He came back with the *2 number for customer service. I told him I was not leaving until they exchanged my phone and he went in the back and came out with a brand new Hero! My new Hero has with Google on the back so I'm happy with the phone. If anyone call help me with any corprate information I would appreciate it. I want to tell Sprint about my experience and how these phones may have a defect.

Upvote 0
As like everyone else i have a crack in the same exact spot. I will use this pic and these posts to get them to fix this.

Thanks for the heads up on this issue.

I never notice it and i wonder how long its been there I bought my hero on oct 22

yeah mine already cracked all the way through and it sticks out, not flushed. so i used superglue to fix it and now its fine. you still can see the crack but you don't really feel it anymore so i don't notice it anymore. no another crack showed up. so i guess its all good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones