Plastic Earbuds + Incredible + pocket = SCRATCHES on the screen!! Im pissed!General

Last Updated:

1. Crow

Crow Banned This Topic's Starter

So much for a scratch resistant screen. The videos you see of "scratch tests" with keys and scissors are B.S. because they don't even put an ounce of presure on the screen. I have learned the hard way! :mad:

So Ive been carrying around my Inc. naked while I waited for a screen protector I ordered on ebay. I use my Inc. as my primary MP3 player and always carry around earbuds with me. Well one day walking to work I put the earbuds (which are made of PLASTIC and the head phone jack is nice and smooth metal with no sharp edges) and Inc in the same some what loose pants pocket (not jeans). When I arrived at work THIS IS WHAT I HAD IN STORE FOR ME!!!!!

scratch.jpg picture by mpayrin - Photobucket

Yes my friends SCUFF marks and SCRATCHES on my screen! At first I thought this MUST be just some kind of residue and that I could wipe it off until I stared to run my finger nail over them and felt the slight grip of tiny scratches.

I mean this is really shocking to me because at NO time did I feel that there was any slightest rubbing of the phone when in my pocket.

IM PISSED!!!!! :mad:

Advertisement
  2. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

Proof positive that the Incredible does NOT have Gorilla Glass. I've been pocketing my Cowon MP3 players (with Corning Gorilla Glass) with headphones, keys, etc. for years and haven't had any scratches whatsoever.

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

i can understand that you'd be frustrated, but, even with scratch resistant screens..you'd trust that??

If mine goes in my pocket, the only other thing I allow in my pocket is my HAND.

4. Zozz

Zozz Well-Known Member

False, it does have a gorilla glass. My Droid got a nasty scratch, guess that one didnt come with gorilla glass. Contact HTC and they will say that it does have gorilla glass.

5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

yep same here

6. WizeGuyDezignz

I don't believe HTC, sorry. And if it does have Gorilla Glass, it must be lower quality and not made by Corning (if that's possible). Because I can assure you that I've never had even a micro scratch on my Cowon's with heavy use over the past few years.

I've already seen way too many threads with scratched screens to believe that it's the Gorilla Glass that I'm used to. Just my opinion.

7. Zozz

Zozz Well-Known Member

I guess my Droid had some low quality glass. Oh look, I can pull out an anecdote too.

8. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Try a small dab of clear coat safe car wax on a clean cloth and rub gently see what happens..

9. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

plastic doesn't scratch glass.....

fish2587 likes this.
  10. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

Sux man..

11. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Well-Known Member

Scratch Resistant & Scratch Proof are two completely different things. I learned this from personal experience and in marketing classes.

Resistant means that that probably wont scratch under most circumstances... most is a loosely defined term that is determined by the manufacturer...

Proof means that the product wont be ruined........

I'm not trying to piss of the OP. I'd be mad also... Just wanted to put the difference between proof & resistant out there...

12. WizeGuyDezignz

Mskgreenel, I work in marketing and you are correct. ;)

13. Mskgreenel

Are you hiring? :D... My job hunt is going terribly.... :mad:

14. WizeGuyDezignz

If you are willing to move to San Diego, I can see what I can do. ;)

Honestly we just filled a couple of positions but nothing is open at the moment. Good luck and keep me updated! :D

15. Mskgreenel

Cali is next on my list.... I'm giving Atlanta a year :)

16. WizeGuyDezignz

Well, I'll be here... :D

17. Bushflyr

Bushflyr Well-Known Member

Are you sure that the screen is actually scratched and it's not that the plastic rubbed off on the screen?

But, as others have said, my left front pocket is for my phone and NOTHING ELSE. I have a 3 year old KRZR that still looks brand new, maybe 2 micro scratches, and it's just plastic.

And, FWIW, good habits are really easy to get into. Phone always goes into my pocket screen in, button down. That way it comes out ready to use. Right front pocket is for wallet, knife, and spare ammo. Easy and always the same.

18. kicksave41

kicksave41 Member

Try one of those Magic Erasers. It is like a sponge.

19. dt_

dt_ Well-Known Member

Can someone comment on VOLUME of the headphones when plugged in? I heard they are a bit too loud even at their lowest setting? This worries me a bit as I just got some nice in-ear noise isolating headphones for which I have to turn down the volume on my iPod to use.. :/

20. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member

lol be mad at yourself what do you think would happen

21. MrGoodCat

MrGoodCat Well-Known Member

110% correct! its called material science guys...check it out. you obviously had something else in your pocket that would scratch the glass. i take any complaint i read online about anything with a grain of salt. you never know if some person is just trying to start a rumor. plastic can't scratch glass, seriously, go rub your headphones on a window or mirror, see what happens.

now keys on the other hand, were those floating around unnoticed in that pocket?

22. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

Did everyone miss the part where he admits that the headphone jack is obviously metal? Despite his dismissing this as the jack is "smooth", I think we have our culprit.

23. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

i had my phone in my pocket today with my keys (by accident.. it NEVER goes in the same pocket with keys) and i pulled it out expecting the worst.. and thank god not a blemish on it. still just as beautiful and sexy as the day i got it.

24. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Well-Known Member

Same here. I never go anywhere without a screen protector because I just can't deal with scratches.

I do feel his pain though, that really sucks.

25. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member

This is why I have obtained a screen protector for the Incredible's cousin (Evo) in advance.