Play DVDs through Nexus 7General

1. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

There is much discussion on ripping DVDs for playing on the nexus 7 but I want a different solution.

At present, my wife, has a netbook with an attached DVD player. When on holiday she takes about a dozen films with her in a simple wallet. If these were ripped she would have to decide well in advance what films she wanted to take and only have a few on the Nexus.

Is there a way that an external DVD player can be connected to a Nexus 7 i.e. using the same system she has used up to now?

Advertisement
    :
  2. dunjamon

dunjamon Well-Known Member

You could rip them onto a USB drive and then play them from that.
  3. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

+1, I have all my DVD's ripped and stored on Micro-SD cards. I carry one or 2 32GB Micro-SD's and a small card reader that connects to the microUSB for OTG.

That's 40 full length (non-HD) videos. I can carry another 16GB MicroSD with a bazillion songs (not quite a Google, just a bazillion). Pretty well set for a trip of any length. And way easier than carrying a DVD drive and a wallet of disks with you.
  4. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies but ripping is the problem. My wife has over 400 DVDs. She makes her choice just as she is about to leave. Ripping would mean I would have to rip all 400 ready for her to download the ones she wants to take. Or rather I would have to ask her which ones she wants downloaded to the device and do that.

It would be better if there is a way to connect the DVD player to the Nexus!

Have one of these cables on order; to connect my 64GB stick to my phone. Will see if I can get the DVD player to work to my phone???
  5. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

Yes 400 is a large amount. But if going the tablet route means she has less choice why make the move?

I don't fancy ripping 400+ DVDs.
  6. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Well... Make her decide which ones a day or 2 in advance and rip those to a usb/mSD? Ripping a dozen a day in advance is very feasible.
  7. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

Not always feasible; three weeks ago returned from one trip then two days at home before next trip. I had other things to catch up on.

Still think best option is to connect a DVD player to Nexus or other tablet.
  8. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

maybe run it with the jumpers on cable select so it think its just an external hard drive, or something like that. so it don't have to be installed or need dvd player drivers. data is data ehy? kinda early, my brain might not be working fully
  9. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Sadly, I don't think that is an option... To my knowledge at least.
  10. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

couldn't you use a OTG cable with a portable dvd drive with usb?
    I'm assuming you can since its just a drive and I am able to use portable hard drives with OTG.
  11. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

What is your guys preferred DVD ripping program for PC?
  12. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

DVDfab

cost money but they update constantly to get around the ever new and improved copy protection, even thought its 100% legal to make copies of movies you own.
  13. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

Do you know how much it costs?
  14. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

I dunno, always on sale, cost me like $40-45 3-4 years ago, then $5 a yr license renewal. well worth it for the way they stay on top of movies.
  15. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

See post #4
  16. bigdadvrod

bigdadvrod New Member

an external dvd drive will not work....something to do with operational software or such, according to a good source. Just rip the dvds....maybe while she's gone, during those 'cold lonely nights'.
  17. gbynum

gbynum Well-Known Member

DVD Catalyst is great. The complete program, all options, is available for free download limited only in that it only converts part of the disk or file; the cost for the full license is only $10 at present. It has predefined settings for almost all portable players, and will save in darn near every format you can imagine.

ON ITS OWN, it will not do BluRay disks, but the author has several options for that issue, and really answers emails!

It's a nice program, and there are other useful programs by the author, including a free streaming application for Windows to your tablet.
  18. adamlautner201

adamlautner201 New Member

19. wtherrell

wtherrell Well-Known Member

+1 for DVD Catalyst! I used it for the first time yesterday and now have True Grit, Captain America, Ice Age, Stardust, and Nanny Diaries (my wife insisted) ready for my flight to Vancouver.:)
  20. skelms

skelms Well-Known Member

If all you want to do is watch DVD's buy a portable DVD player with a built in screen, it would be cheaper than nexus 7 and you don't have to attach it to a tablet, pc etc.
    That's my opinion.
  21. fabulas

fabulas Active Member

DVD Catalyst is great for DVDs. For bluray, Anydvd HD is wonderful! Both programs work well together.
  22. jssqmaty

jssqmaty New Member

I am sorry to tell you that, you have to rip or convert DVDs to Nexus 7 format
  23. Sid_hkr

Sid_hkr Member

MX Player plays vobs
  24. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

DVD Catalyst 4 and an OTG cable with flash drive for me.

I've gradually ripped a load of DVDs and put them on an external HDD. I swap and change what is on the thumb drive from there.
  25. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

While we are on the subject of ripping, does any one know how to play .m4a files from iTunes or downloaded digital copies from Blurays?