• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Mpeg-II on Galaxy S?

paddyb

Jul 3, 2010
Is their a media player or downloadable codec out there that can play Mpeg-II files without conversion? Would be great if their is so i can play TV files without conversion. Also, is there something like VLC media player on Andriod that will play .Vob and .Rec (topfield) files, and pretty much anything else?

Thanks.

Nope. Some say Rock Player can, but i havent been able to. Your best bet is to convert to mp4 with an h264 codec.

I've had partial sucess with Rockplayer, it can play MPEG 2 and Vob, but will only play sequentially and just jumps to the end to i try to skip forward. Also some issues with aspect ratio. Quite encouraging though seeing as its only in beta.

yxplayer claims to, but is unwatchable, slow, jittery, wrong aspect ratio and again can not move backwards or forwards on the timeline.

Anyone had any sucess with other players?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones