• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Play Services Wakelock and battery drain

GuitarG20

Clueless Senior Member
Jun 23, 2012
Texas
Hey all,

Has anyone else seen play services doing a huge number on their battery recently? The last few days I've had it wakelock my phone for hours (3+ yesterday and 2 today) and do huge battery hits (20% of Whole battery yesterday, 15% today.)

I'm still on 5.0.1 and as far as I know everything is up to date. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I get rid of it? My battery doesn't last worth crap and the phone is unusably hot.

Yeah, I've been on 5.0.1. Updated via flashed factory to 5.0 then flashed OTA to 5.0.1 (w/factory reset after.) It's worth mentioning that I've been on 5.0.1 for a long time and I've only seen this happening in the last 2 days. It persists through restarts even...

I've been off the charger for an hour or so this morning and the built in battery monitor shows my phone has been awake the whole time. Here's a screenshot of what it looked like before i plugged in last night:

Screenshot_2015-03-17-23-56-23.png

I've noticed that going to my google account settings shows a sync error related to Sound Search for google play. I'm going to try and turn off sync for that and see if it helps.

Upvote 0
Except now it's started back up again. My phone is hot and my battery is fallen off a cliff... any ideas? I'm doing a recovery cache clear now to see if that helps.
I had constant wake/lock issues from GP services on KitKat and never found a solution. I was so happy they were gone when I upgraded to Lollipop. I have had sync issues from time to time while I've been on L and usually restarting that sync fixes the issue. Have you installed wake lock detector to see if it can shed any light? Are you rooted?

Disable mobile data.
Something in Lollipop has broken the GSM/LTE radio.
The issue seems to be down to this for me
Lollipop didn't break the radio. My data is fine and LTE is fine. Maybe you should try the factory images or at least the radio from the factory image?

Upvote 0
Still getting awful battery life and the wakelock is in full force... but now the icon has changed to match my contacts icon... so is it contacts sync that's having the problem?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling play store updates to no avail. At this point I'm honestly thinking about doing a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Mine is better turning off sound services sync, but Play services is still my number 1. It started when I did a full wipe and flashed 5.1. I don't think a FDR will help but I guess it can't hurt. I think they need to update Play services again. This has happened before. I remember I left my phone unplugged one night and it drained like 40% without me touching it because of Play services! That package is so buggy!

Upvote 0
I would roll back to the earliest version possible, but to use most of the google apps you need the latest version, so that doesn't work either. Right now my phone is at 45C, it's been idle for about a half hour (haven't touched it till i went to check temp) and it's fully wakelocked and draining fast. I can't check what exactly is doing it because I don't have root so most of the battery apps don't work very well.

I'm tempted to say it's location services because my trusted places aren't working, but I have no idea. I also think it may be contact sync since that is always showing up in the list of packages on the battery impact screen for play services. This is getting extremely frustrating though.

EDIT: This seems to show that contact sync is killing my battery. Look at how much data it's been using:
Screenshot_2015-03-20-23-07-23.png

Now the question is, how do i reset it so that it stops this madness? I cleared the contacts app data and then had google re-sync my contacts info from scratch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey I've been having a similar issue, and I think it has to do with the WiFi at my work. Its WPA2 enterprise, PEAP. When I go home to my network at home (i.e. over the weekend) my battery was fine. The other thing I thought it might be is my work internet is blocking certain requests and Play Services continues to try all day long.

I solved my issue from disconnecting from my work WiFi (but I can still leave WiFi enabled), and just using the LTE connection, at least until Play Services sorts out the issue.

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
Hey I've been having a similar issue, and I think it has to do with the WiFi at my work. Its WPA2 enterprise, PEAP. When I go home to my network at home (i.e. over the weekend) my battery was fine. The other thing I thought it might be is my work internet is blocking certain requests and Play Services continues to try all day long.

I solved my issue from disconnecting from my work WiFi (but I can still leave WiFi enabled), and just using the LTE connection, at least until Play Services sorts out the issue.

Okay yeah I went home for the weekend and it was not an issue there. But at school I'm on WPA-2 enterprise corporate setup wifi as well, and that's where my issue is. The only question is - how do you communicate it with google to make sure they know?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones