• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Store: Google+ Package File Invalid.

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Cannot get this one to install from Play. Every other app I download works and installs from the store, except this one. It will download, says "installing" for a few minutes, then says "error Package file invalid"

Got plenty of storage. What gives?

Log cat: "install failed dexopt"

Wtf does that mean? Phone is lg optimus v, a step up from my precedent so I won't buy that G+ isn't compatible.

except this isn't an update, this is just an install of an app that phone never had on it. spec-wise it should be able to run a social app especially since the CPU is the same as the one in my Preci and the RAM is twice as much as my current phone as well.

I was going to flash CyanogenMod on my Precedent but am wary that if the issue is at Play's end, i'd have problems getting G+ back on it as well. so far that's the only one that will not install.

Side-loading does the same but instead of invalid package i get 'Application Not Installed' after a five minute wait. logcat output the same. i also get the 'Install Failed Dexopt' in Link2SD if i try moving (get this) ONLY Google Apps. irony much?

I've searched it and there are usually two things that are going on, but neither fit me exactly. this is the list of steps that normally fixes it (but doesn't in my case):

1. Clear data/cache in Play and Play Services (no success)
2. Reinstall/update Google Talk (it is working, but won't update to Hangouts)
3. clear cache/wipe dalvik cache (it wiped, rebuilt, same problem though)
4. Uninstall updates to Play Store to restore old Market, and try to install (does that, but before downloading it tries to tell me my phone is out of space, despite having well over 100MB free in the internal storage)

5. Factory reset (saving that one for a last resort, this phone has some data from two years ago i would prefer not to lose and is too large to cloud upload)

Upvote 0
Most of what is on stack Overflow is above my head. So far. I'm going to try another workaround that fixed a similar issue with my old ZTE Merit (which was, in its case, due to low storage space in /data) copying the apk file to /system/app, change permissions to rw--rw--r and restart. That was what revived live wallpaper in my Precedent in a custom ROM which removed live wallpaper support. Somehow it bypasses package manager and sorta force-installs apps in the larger /system partition.

Reactions: Hadron and LilBit
Upvote 0
It's one of them hacks I save for a rainy day ;)

The way I figure it, if carriers can do it with bloatware, why can't I with actually usable apps? Causes an odd force close on boot but works fine after that. When I had to force-install Facebook on my Merit that way it had the same glitch. More annoyance than problem, however.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones