1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Play vs galaxy 2 emulatorsGeneral

1. RM010

RM010 New Member

I'm bit stuck on what phone to purchase and need some advice. I want the phone to play mainly emulators PS1 and N64 I have read on some forums that the play is not very good at running N64 games but the galaxy is. However on youtube there is a video of someone playing Zelda on the xperia play and it seems to run fine can anyone on here comment if the game runs good or not?

Basically both units have pros and cons the Xperia id prefer to play games with a pad rather than touch screen but the unit seems a bit fat. Galaxy 2 possibly runs games smoother and is lighter but can only play games touch screen.

what are people thoughts and experiences on these devices?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. kool kat2

kool kat2 Well-Known Member

I've seen videos of the play running n64oid ok. I tried playing it with my DX and it wasn't right with all the buttons on the screen. I pretty much gave up on gaming until I got my play. Actual video games (not angry birds) need a gamepad, not touch screen IMO.

I don't consider it fat at all but thats just me. My x made a bigger bulk in my pocket than the play.
  3. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

That is the catch in regards to the Play with PS1 and N64 games. Dual cores handle games with smoother play, but controls are nowhere as good as the Plays.

Good news is FPSe plays a lot of games with the Snapdragon really well. Only a few N64 games work well though. They play great on the Droid 3 and the keyboard helps- just not in same league as the Plays control pad.

Shame the Vita is coming this fall, since that means probably little to no chance of a Play 2. A Play 2 with more ram, app storage, and a dual core- just those changes would elevate the status of the Play. I doubt Sony will want any thunder taken from Vita.
  4. darkalchemyxex

darkalchemyxex Well-Known Member

I tried zelda ocarina of time , some stutter sparingly but dosent bother me much although the game crashes the minute you enter the first dungeon the deku tree.
  5. kool kat2

kool kat2 Well-Known Member

Unless we get a phone with a gamepad that isn't from SONY, right?? :)
  6. skynet58

skynet58 Member

sad news, I heard sony ericsson is going bankrupt this year so goodluck on waiting for xperia play second gen. Maybee other phones will make gaming phones with hard buttons.
  7. darkalchemyxex

darkalchemyxex Well-Known Member

Source? I don't do well with rumors
  8. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member

It all depends on what the person has running on their phone. If the person has ton of crap on it and didn't root and move stuff to the SD. and didn't remove the bloatware then it will run like crap. If the user optimizes their phone and cleans out the garbage it should run ok. I don't know if there are any good N64 emus. The last time I tried one (over 6 years ago on the PC) they sucked.

But! Nothing beats the option for buttons and the sticks will get working soon I hope. So the Play blows anything else away hands down.