Played around with a Droid 2 at the VZW store, wonder if the Fascinate has this feature?

Last Updated:

1. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

While waiting for customer service to call me at the VZW store last night I walked over to the Droid 2 and fiddled around with it. I wanted to see if it had Swype (which it did) an while testing it out I kept seeing these red circles appear behind the words I was typing in. I tried clicking on them and found what is (to me) one of the more useful features I've seen in the keyboard area: it zooms in on the text you've typed and lets you fine-tune the cursor placement. I'll admit, I am still learning Swype and quite often it will add the wrong word to what I'm typing and I'll have to put my cursor back to change it, a feature like the zoom on the Droid 2 would be amazing.

Any idea if that's a Motorola/Froyo thing or if there's a way to get something similar on my Fascinate?

Advertisement
  2. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this will come to the Fascinate or not. If it does, it will most likely be by update or heavily customized ROM.

It seems to be a Motorola and AT&T thing.

The Samsung Captivate on AT&T has this. We do not...I'm not entirely sure why that is since it is a necessary feature.

I always thought maybe it was exclusive to AT&T/Apple, until Motorola did it...so now I just hope we get it to more Android phones soon!

3. Kabob

Hrm, my boss has a Captivate but never texts on it and hasn't noticed it (we were just takling about this feature 30 mins ago or so). I'll have to check his phone and see what happens.

So it's not a Froyo thing perchance (if his phone has it I suppose it wouldn't be)?

4. glroze

glroze Well-Known Member

not a froyo thing, droid x has had it since it was released and it IS hard to believe that they removed, or didn't include, the samsung keyboard which also has an 'editing page' with cursor arrows, c+p, etc. not everyone likes using swype all the time!

5. Kabob

Hrm, it may be an AT&T thing but I didn't see any way to do it on my boss' Captivate. So is it safe to assume that perhaps it's just that Samsung didn't want it?

6. deltido

deltido Member

That's one thing that's always dissappointed me about android phones. Until I saw it used on a Droid 2 in a video, I thought it was just an iPhone feature. I enjoy typing on my iPhone 4 more so than my Fascinate because of this feature.

7. burningembers

Hmm, weird. I remember walking into an AT&T store to play with the Captivate before the Fascinate came out, and saw this feature and it was part of the reason I bought the Fascinate hoping it would have it...

Maybe it was a dream, crap...

8. Kabob

Well...apparently one of us is delusional...or I'm too inept to work his phone and figure said feature out! :p

9. burningembers

I wonder if it was the specific text-editing program I managed to just open and test-type in...if that's the case, I need to find it and get it.

10. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

The galaxy s phones will get something similar to that with the froyo update. Check out some captivate froyo videos...

11. Kabob

Great news! Now if Froyo would only come out...

12. saps

saps Well-Known Member

It's coming only I think Santa is delivering it

13. Kabob

I'd rather Santa's buddy Mr.Pumpkin brought it instead...

14. wtherrell

wtherrell Well-Known Member

Or even Mr. Pilgrim-Turkey