Playing Audio from HTC Evo USB or HDMI PortsSupport

Last Updated:

1. ryanleblanc1

ryanleblanc1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone figured out how to play audio from the HTC EVO (mp3, Pandora, etc) through the USB or HDMI ports? I've looked seemingly everywhere and have not found anyone who has done it. I want to be able to amply drive my Grado SR80i headphones. I believe I could do it with a portable amp like HeadRoom's Total AirHead through the headphone jack, but if I'm not mistaken, the headphone jack is sonically inferior to a line out jack. The problem is, the EVO doesn't have a line out jack. Hence...my inquiry regarding harnessing audio from either the USB or HDMI ports.

Let's assume the answer to my question above is NO.... I'm relatively satisfied with the sound quality I get from the EVO using Sennheiser PX 100 headphones and the tiny FiiO amp. The problem is, I blew the Sennheisers. That's why I bought the Grados. Undoubtedly, the Grados will handle more power. Unfortunately, my tiny FiiO amp won't power the Grados. So...my second question then is...will a better amp sufficiently power the Grados through the headphone jack?

Let me know what you think...thanks in advance

Ryan

Advertisement
  2. ryanleblanc1

ryanleblanc1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Apparently...it's impossible. Thanks anyway.

3. smokesumkush

smokesumkush New Member

While streaming YouTube yesterday with my evo via hdmi I switched to the music player and it came on through my tv the audio that is. When i tried to do it again it wouldnt work but I figured it had to be possible because it was jus on... I woke up in the morning still curious so I messed with it and the trick is while the phone is on and playing music from the music player turn the screen off and then back on while the hdmi chord is attached as silly as that is that's the answer it is indeed possible...hope i helped

4. smokesumkush

smokesumkush New Member

Lol the update is although its possible you lose ur audio on the phone you'll have to restart phone to restore your phones audio playback. In other words Sprint and HTC are spoon feeding us technology why I don't know....

5. wader999

wader999 Member

Has anyone tried an "HDMI to VGA and 3 RCA Audio Video" wire?

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

it's been posted in the accessory sub forum I know I have seen it. I am no audio/video guru but I recall the answer being that without a $200+ converter those cables are pretty much useless

7. drumshark

drumshark Well-Known Member

Line out's are only better if you've got an external DAC/AMP. Not just an AMP.

The headphone jack will power grado's... They will power any headphone. Higher resistance headphones wont sound as nice though, unless you have an external AMP. But honestly, unless you already know these things (not counting audio noobs who are trying to learn. We all start somewhere:) then the only difference you will notice is an increase in volume, and maybe a bit of bass.

8. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yea, as Mr. Ed said, you cannot simply convert hdmi to anything. HDMI is a digital encrypted signal, you need a downconverter to convert it to anything else. The cheapest one that actually works well is at least 150 bucks.