Playing AVI format films on the Xoom?Support

Last Updated:

1. actusreus

actusreus Member

Is it possible? If not, what format will work on the Xoom? The ads all show it playing movies, but there is no movie player that I can find, and you have to dl a file manager just to find stuff that I copy from my computer, and then it won't play it anyway. Any suggestions?

2. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member

I use mVideoPlayer from the market. Not sure about .avi, but it plays mp4 very well and mVideoPlayer will display the cover art too which I really like. And its FREE which I really really like!
  3. PaulG1488

PaulG1488 Guest

I use rockplayer lite from market
  4. edgeupgx

edgeupgx Well-Known Member

So can the Xoom not do this natively without a player?
  5. neotobase

neotobase New Member

Can you tell me the resolution of your AVI films? and the video codec(DivX?)
    I will shows the way of your avi files for playing movies on Xoom in full screen.

Motorola Xoom can play h.264 mp4 format(up to 1080p but recommended 720p) natively.

Best regards
  6. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

it will also handle m4v files well. I use Act 1 video player and it works very well. Downloading a file manager (like Astro) is always a good suggestion as it allows for easy folder management of your SD (virtual for now) card.
  7. galaxybror

galaxybror New Member

i use moboplayer, it supports almost any formats, pretty good!
  8. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

VPlayer is also a good option. Plays almost any video format including avi and Divx straight off the bat - is not free though.
  9. saintastic

saintastic New Member

Can you put a .avi movie on a USB stick, put it in your Xoom and then play it using VPlayer?
  10. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

Not quite sure why you ask this? The Xoom only has a micro USB connector, so no 'USB stick is going to work. You can transfer video files to your Xoom via a USB connection to your PC - drag and drop to your SD partition on the Xoom and then use the 'Files' app to access your video files. It will use Vplayer straight away. :p
  11. pinkylupu

pinkylupu New Member

Just responding to "saintastic's" question. "Can you put a .avi movie on a USB stick, put it in your Xoom and then play it using VPlayer?"

Yes you can, I did it last night on my xoom. My xoom is rooted and I install VPlayer and usb mass storage Watcher OTG both apps are available from Market.

Install and follow instruction it very easy.
  12. Tonysense

Tonysense New Member

The standard player with the xoom plays most AVi / XVid, but I simple use the .MP4 format, never had a problem yet.

Usuall the format is 720p
  13. spyder40

spyder40 Well-Known Member

Wish we could get Silverlight support (one stupid website in particular). There was some open source projects but haven't seen anything working.