1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

playing files over network

Last Updated:

1. honkas

honkas New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

i have a galaxy s android version 2.1 and have downloaded astro file manager aswell as the smb add on.. I have been able to connect to my NAS box fine through the galaxy and can view the music/movie files stored on that box..

However, my issue is that i can seem to play files straight over the network through the phone even though astro file manager can see the files. The default applications music/movie players open to play the file but I get an error message stating invalid file extension...

Is there an application that will play my files (movie/music) over my existing home network as the default media/movie player seem to be unable to accomplish this..

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

gmote is....ok at that task. At this point it will only work for audio files. But to this date, it is the best that I've found.

3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Maybe Estrongs File Explorer can do it ...

Harry

4. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

ES file explorer can't do that. The only way is to either use a streaming client/server system like Orb/orblive or to root the phone and work some volume mounting magic.

5. Dubhead

Dubhead New Member

honkas,
    Having the exact same issue with my setup (Samsung Epic 4G and Netgear ReadyNAS NV+). Any files I access on the NAS or my home computer that I have setup in Astro will not allow me to watch/view/play at all. Only advantage to this setup currently is copying files to the device.
    Think it is pretty odd that this phone cannot do this. I was able to do this on countless Windows Mobile phones with Resco Explorer for ages. Is there something we are missing here?

~Dubhead~ :(

6. kiborg

kiborg New Member

I could do it with file expert & vplayer alpha. Can watch movies from my pc.

7. kiborg

kiborg New Member

Try file expert & vplayer alpha.

8. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

I second Gmote, and it does play video's too (but not divx files even though I've installed the Codec). I doubt it'll work with a NAS drive though because you have to install the gmote software on the PC to connect to

9. vwvapor

vwvapor Well-Known Member

I use UPnPlay with Rockplayer. Video support is in beta, but works great for me. If the vid is H264 mp4, you can choose to use the android player, which allows for perfect seek and search. If it's another format such as divx, Rockplayer works great. Seek and search don't work that well though. There is roughly a minute delay in sliding the tracking bar before the video restarts at the new position.

Now I don't have to have the TV on in bed while the wife is asleep to watch shows/movies from my Tversity or PS3 media server.