• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

playing media from android device to non-smart TV

femgoth

Jul 5, 2012
OK, i originally thought i would be abkle to do this with chromecast but it turns out you cant so i am wondering if anyone knows how to do this..

we have a TV, not a smart one just a bog standard one that you can get from tesco. it does have HDMI in. We have multiple PCs, laptops, tablets and phones in the house. PCs are all windows (XP still) and tablets/phones are all android.

we each have our own media on our phones/tablets, and there is also films/tv series/music etc on the main pc which we can play on our tablets/phones fine as the folder on the PC is shared over the network.

the main PC is hardwired to the router, the PC upstairs is on powerline, everything else is wireless using virgins superhub 2.0. the TV is not wifi enabled at all.

what we want to be able to do is play any media from our own units or from the central computer (using our other units as a remote) on the main tv. in other words, using my phone (xperia z) i want to be able to play movies/music/tvseries from my phone on the tv; i also want to be able to play movies/tv that are on the main pc, and skip through etc without leaving the sofa. i dont want to have to copy movies over to the phone to be able to play them..

i am happy with my phone acting as the go between so movies being played from the PC on my phone and being pushed over to the TV. essentially playing the movie on my tablet/phone and mirroring the screen on the TV.

we originally tried all this with a rikomagik dongle for the tv but it turned out that it was rubbish; not only getting a poor signal half the time, but the other half of the time acting as a wifi jammer. we were going to use the tablets/phones as remotes and then use the dongle to play video from the main pc.

someone somewhere must know how to do this.. we are not looking to spend a large amount of money here.. thats why we thought the chromecast might work but apparently it cannot play media from a mobile device, only from a pc browser (this seems a little pants to me)

just to repeat; we are not interested in the slightest about apps or anything on whatever we need to plug into the tv. we have no interest in netflix/spotify or anything else as that all comes through the tivo box anyway.. all we want to be able to do is select a film on the pc using the tablet and get it to play on the tv..

thinking about it what we really need is a HML to HDMI cable, without the cable.. if that makes sense.. ie, sending from the phone to the HDMI port on the tv over wifi..
something like this then...
AIRTAME - Wireless HDMI for Everyone although, i dont think there is any mobile device support yet...

the developers koush (maker of cyanogen mod) has made "allcast" work with all dlna devices though...so your phone can stream content to any internet connected dlna device..(roku, apple tv, etc)

http://phandroid.com/2013/11/25/allcast-beta-7-download/

"allcast" at one time could stream local mobile content to chromecast but they have since temporarily disabled the ability....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones