• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Playing Music In Your Car (USB) Not Working

Cuerbo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
I've been trying to use the phone as an MP3 player in the car, however, when I connect it to my USB port it juts sits there saying "USB Load". Has anyone had similar experience? Seen the issue with Honda Civic and CrossTour. Have tried using Media Player or Storage USB setting on the phone. Any ideas are welcome, thank you.

This happened to me. The USB port on whatever charger you are using is not putting out enough power, so it thinks its hooked up to the computer or something. At least thats the explanation I got. I was using an old charger that happened to have a USB port on it. You will need to get the right charger for it to work in the car correctly. Once I got the correct charger, no problem. It works great.

Upvote 0
I can charge the phone without any problems, it's listening to music that's an issue for me. I copied songs off my IPod onto the Captivate. They play on the phone without any issues but when I hook up the phone to either car, all I get is a USB Load message on the radio. Trying to find out if anyone has seen this and has a workaround for it.

Upvote 0
Ipod works fine and yes, I do get prompted for what to do. I usually select Media Player, other options lead to the radio displaying Unsupported. One thing I failed to mention earlier, that while copying files, I was ask to do a conversion. I noticed that all the files are now .wma, wonder if this has something to do with it. Will check later today and report.

Upvote 0
I never got it to work even after moving all my music to the secondary SD Card. I eventually returned the phone after the JH7 update came out and didn't fix the GPS. I now have the iPhone4 and my USB works like a champ plus I can control the phone from my steering wheel radio controls.

Upvote 0
I have an 09 Chevy with a USB input that works fine with my iPhone, but refuses to work with my new Captivate. The Captivate just blinks 'USB', and I also have tried changing it from Media player to Mass storage with no effect.

Are you sure your Chevy isn't hard-coded to just work with the iPhone? Many things arrogantly just assume everyone owns an iPhone and so are only designed to work with them.

Did you remember to select "mount" on the Captivate after connecting it in Mass Storage mode?

Upvote 0
Are you sure your Chevy isn't hard-coded to just work with the iPhone? Many things arrogantly just assume everyone owns an iPhone and so are only designed to work with them.

Did you remember to select "mount" on the Captivate after connecting it in Mass Storage mode?
I never saw an option for 'Mount', but that may be because it never got to that point,...it just keeps like blinking USB at the top,.....as if someone is very quickly plugging/unplugging the USB cord.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was at 4.1. I even went so far as to register my UDID and had tried 4.2 beta's 1,2, and 3. But it was all the same thing. Believe me nobody wanted it to work more than I, I got up at 4 am to pre order it to get it release day. I had also got replacement iPhones 2 times for these issues but all where the same.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that the iPhone is special in that some of its connections in its proprietary connector are for analog audio.

This means one cable can both charge and give analog audio output.

I think the Samsung Captivate with its micro-USB port is like most other phones - just has a digital output that has to be processed.

So just keep this in mind if you have something that works with the iPhone. It's really hard to get something like the Captivate hooked up.

Upvote 0
So this worked for me:

1) Root Phone
2) Install Rescan Media Root
3) Disable the "Media Scanner" using Rescan Media Root
4) Turn OFF USD Debugging
5) Plug USB Cable to phone
6) Slide down notification drawe ->Tap "USB Connected" notification ->Tap "Connect storage to PC/USB" button.

Your car should now be able to read the music files. Sometimes might need to unplug and repeat steps 5, 6 to make it work stick.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones