Playing music over USB in car with Ford Sync systemSupport

Last Updated: 2012-07-19 14:57:05
  1. Wargazm

Wargazm Well-Known Member

Hopefully there's some other SYNC users here. I am not quite sure how to get music streaming over USB. Whenever I connect the phone, SYNC says that there's no USB device connected.

I think I have to enable USB mass storage mode, or MTP mode, but I am not sure how to do that. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

Why would you put such a fantastic phone in a Ford? :p

If the SYNC isn't recognizing the phone as a media HD then it doesn't sound like it's in Media sync mode (Settings>Connect to PC> Media Sync). Try that before connecting, maybe toggle each mode to see which one it works on.
    Wargazm likes this.
  3. Wargazm

I do believe that's exactly the menu I was looking for! It pops up when hooking to a PC, but not when hooking to SYNC.

I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks for your help!
  4. TomXP411

TomXP411 Well-Known Member

If Media Sync mode doesn't work, try the Mass Storage mode. One of those should work.
  5. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you just connect via BT? I had a fusion rental with sync for a week and set it so as soon as I started the car, bt connected and could stream music and handle calls.
  6. Wargazm

There's a few issues with connecting via BT:

1. I lose voice activated control of music. So I can't say "play album XXX" and have it work...and dammit, that's what I bought the system for: so I could live in the future where a robot fulfills my every wish. :)
    2. I lose the heads up display that tells me what song, artist, etc is playing.
    3. I take advantage of the time it's connected to charge the battery.
    4. The big one: there seems to be some issue with BT and car systems with the Thunderbolt that makes it drop connection after a minute or so. But that's a topic for another thread.
  7. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

Yeah, all good points. I only had it for a week, so I didn't even know it had those capabilities. As for anything else electronic, check to make sure there aren't any software updates to your SYNC system that may have given it more BT capabilities. Long shot, but worth looking to rule out.
  8. AlucardDE

AlucardDE Member

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL AWD with MyFord Touch. I have no issues with BT connectivity with the Thunderbolt. I would definitely check syncmyride.com and enter your VIN number to see what Sync updates your vehicle has.
  9. rcpratt

rcpratt Well-Known Member

I set up the BT in my Fusion today after failing at USB Sync for a few minutes. Sync is definitely preferred for all the reasons you listed above. I was also having some poor quality audio on high pitches, not sure if it's just the BT or what.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully this works.
  10. kixazz2529

kixazz2529 New Member

Have any of you been able to get your text through bluetooth?

I have a 2011 Ford Edge(just purchased 2 weeks ago) with My Ford Touch and have my Thunderbolt connected via Bluetooth. It works great for calls but it says that my device does not support text messages via bluetooth. is this true or am I missing a setting or possible mysync update?
  11. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

One thing about technology, especially new technology, the manufacturers are always going in different directions when it comes to disciplines and functionality. What I hate is when I buy some new tech and it has an advanced function that renders an advanced function on another device obsolete or incompatible.

Just curious, what sync features are you trying retain while using your phone? I thought the sync services on Fords was pretty comprehensive. What features on your phone enhances your sync?
  12. AlucardDE

AlucardDE Member

I receive the same message like I did with my Droid when it came to text messaging. I was hoping the TB would be one of the few phones that support this feature on MyFord Touch. Here's hoping for an update!

13. RARE 5.0

RARE 5.0 Well-Known Member

No i have the same problem in my 2010 focus with the bolt on text messages. BT works awesome for music and phone. Havent tried the usb yet may have to try it.
  14. rcpratt

I'm having no luck with Sync via USB. Even after changing it to media mode, it doesn't recognize it. The problem is it doesn't even realize that it's plugged into a "computer."
  15. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

So it doesn't come up with the little usb symbol in the notification bar at all?

Have you tried a different USB cable?
  16. Wargazm

I pretty much gave up on using USB, but it turns out that playing any sort of rock or metal over BT is awful. It just comes out sounding distorted and horrible.

Anyone else feel this way? Can anything be done to improve music quality over bluetooth?
  17. Wargazm

PHP:
    that's exactly what happens to me. There's gotta be a way to just force the phone to look like a USB stick.
  18. Lunacy

Lunacy Well-Known Member

I haven't tried any streaming in my Fiesta since i bought the TB. I will test out bluetooth and usb streaming. I'll get back to you tonight and let you know how it went.
    Wargazm likes this.
  19. rcpratt

That's correct, and I have tried different cables.
  20. TheDanimal

TheDanimal Well-Known Member

i was never able to get it to work through USB either, also, when streaming through bluetooth i couldn't tell it to play a song or album or anything. after you pair it you should be able to push the voice activation button on the car and just say "bluetooth audio"
  21. duckspucks

duckspucks Member

Clarity of music for me using BT has been pretty good, no significant difference between that and my ipod via USB. My previous phone was a Storm and when attempting to use BT audio, if you didn't shut down the music player when you got out of the car, it would randomly start playing again an hour or so later, which made for some awkward looks when Kool and the Gang randomly started playing at meetings... T-bolt 1, Storm 0.

I haven't had a chance to set it up with Sync quite yet, will have to give it a shot as well. And no luck with it reading text messages either, just the notification sound, would be nice to have an update for that. I have an 08 Fusion so I wonder even if they were to update it, my Sync would be too old to handle it.
  22. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Well-Known Member

Ford actually makes some nice vehicles now. I grew up hating Ford and even worked for Toyota for a little bit and can admit some Ford vehicles are better than Toyota. They give far better options and styling is miles ahead of Toyota. And now that Fords quality is up they are on par in that category as well. Stop living in the dark ages and dogging out Ford.

Anyways, I've only tried Blutooth and its great. Sound quality is amazing. I agree not having text blows though.

I will fidget with the USB in the next day or so. HArd to do so since they wont let you while driving for security reasons for some options. Time being go with BT and see if USB can be worked out.
  23. dspanos

dspanos Member

I have to think the audio quality problems over bluetooth has to be related to your particular device. I have a Droid X right now (waiting for my upgrade in a couple months), and I have no quality issues what so ever in my Fusion streaming bluetooth with SYNC.

I have never actually tried to stream through the USB cable, but I will later on after I get off work and report back any findings.

I work for a Ford dealership, and the only Android phone I've found compatible with SYNC is the Droid X. I haven't had the oppertunity to pair a Droid 2 yet, but I'm assuming that it would be compatible aslo given the software is so similar. Then again, it may be a hardware difference?

Here is the number to the Ford SYNC Help Desk. (877) 945-3648. Maybe if they get enough complaints from Android users they will work with Google to get a software patch out to increase compatibility. It's worth a shot!
  24. Lunacy

Lunacy Well-Known Member

Hm. Bluetooth seemed to work fine, but no luck with the USB cable. It charged the phone, but that was it.
  25. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Well-Known Member

same here. USB not identified. Looks like bluetooth is the only way