Playing via usb port on a car receiver?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Cirith

Cirith Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was just looking into getting a new receiver for my car since my current one doesn't put out rear-left audio. Looking at all these new decks that have usb inputs to play music from ipods and usb sticks got me thinking about the Inc. I read a bit about some other people having mixed results here - different phones, receiver brands, onboard/sd cards, etc. Has anyone tried this or have a usb input in their car and could try it? I'd love to have the option but I won't worry about a usb port if it won't recognize it. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. senator.giles

senator.giles Member

I have a Kenwood DNX6160 and the incredible. BT works great for calls. As for usb, I haven't tried that yet, but I will soon and let you know. I have used the audio-out on the top of the phone and connected to the head unit. It works as it should for pandora and music files on my phone.
    As for the head unit, I searched long and hard for the best one I could buy without spending thousands of dollars. This head unit is badass!

3. Cirith

Cirith Active Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, nice unit. (edit: That's what she said) And here I am looking to spend like 100-150$. I really just want something that isn't missing a channel output but if I'm going to buy a new one and I have the option of hooking my Inc up via usb then that will be a solid bonus. My current player also has the aux-in jack which I've been using for years with my ipod, flash mp3 player, really old mp3 cd player, and most recently my Inc. If that is my only option then I'm fine with it but if it works via usb then all the better. Have you had a chance to test it out yet?

4. senator.giles

senator.giles Member

Ok, just plugged it up via usb and the head unit detected the phone. It only sees the SD card. I could view pics and it saw my music folder, but for some reason I couldn't open the folder. There seem to be some bugs, either with the dinc. or with my head unit. Short answer is most likely the head unit wasn't designed for the dinc. But, with some tinkering, I am sure I could get it to play music via usb. Kenwood seems to be pretty good about updating their head units. Maybe they will add support for our phones. If not, the audio jack works fine for me---I can listen to pandora that way. Damn, i forgot to see if Pandora would play through the usb. oh well.
    On a side note, the head unit was made for the iphone. It works over usb just fine. But id still rather have the dinc!

5. senator.giles

senator.giles Member

Ok, just plugged it up via usb and the head unit detected the phone. It only sees the SD card. I could view pics and it saw my music folder, but for some reason I couldn't open the folder. There seem to be some bugs, either with the dinc. or with my head unit. Short answer is most likely the head unit wasn't designed for the dinc. But, with some tinkering, I am sure I could get it to play music via usb. Kenwood seems to be pretty good about updating their head units. Maybe they will add support for our phones. If not, the audio jack works fine for me---I can listen to pandora that way. Damn, i forgot to see if Pandora would play through the usb. oh well.
    On a side note, the head unit was made for the iphone. It works over usb just fine. But id still rather have the dinc!

6. senator.giles

senator.giles Member

Stupid double post. Overtime I post from my phone on a forum it does it twice.

7. Jman78

Jman78 New Member

Senator giles, have you found out if kenwood has either made a cable/update for the Android phones? I also have the 6160 and I am switching to the evo 4g from the iphone 4. I was curious if there was a compatible cable or software update for the phone/head unit?!?!

Let me know

thanks in advance!

8. tdub88

tdub88 Well-Known Member

I think you are going to run into a lot of issues trying to play through USB. I would just get a unit w/ a front 3.5 mm aux jack and play through the headphone jack of the DINC. The other option is through Bluetooth. You can get a decent unit for not a ton of cash. I have a JVC KD-R900 and the bluetooth works/sounds great w/ Slacker and phone calls. This unit has great antenna reception too. Way beter than my last JVC head unit. I have never even bothered to try bluetooth from the phone as I have a thumb drive attached to the rear USB w/ music on it. The front USB port is used by the BT adapter.