• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I use .mp4 or.m4v file formats. To rip dvds I would recommend Handbrake. If they are copy protected as most commercial discs are then you will need something like DVDfab passkey which removes this prior to ripping, it does it automatically upon disc insertion.

There are presets within Handbrake specifically for Android (and other) devices but I have not tried them.

I would only advocate doing this to material you own for the purposes of making a backup for personal use only & not from any borrowed material.

Fugi

Reactions: DougBCan
Upvote 0
Thumbs up on Handbrake. Great Free prog & easy to use!!

When putting the MP4 file(s) onto the ex SD card do they have to be in any correctly named folder or can I place them where I want. Tried to get answers from Samsung but they are obviously using "off-shore" tech help who are great at providing one-line answers, some of which are even relevant to the question!
Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I'll answer my own question (to assist others trying to figure this out)
I ripped the DVD to MP4 format using Handbrake and then copied the MP4 file onto the external SD card (using an SD card reader attached to USB port of my computer). I placed the file in a folder named VIDEO>4 weddings. Placed ext SD card in tab & started video player. Did a search for 4 weddings & the file showed up and played as normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones