Please be gentle.....General

Last Updated:

1. BH3

BH3 Active Member This Topic's Starter

so I'm getting ready to upgrade wife to 2.1, but it's been forever since I did this so here's the brainfart.....if I do the update OTA, will everything on the mem card be there after the reboot? I feel like a jackhole for asking, but like I said, it's a brainfart.

Advertisement
  2. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

If you do an OTA update, the information will be intact. Doing a manual update would wipe the phone's internal memory, but nothing should wipe the SD card.

3. BH3

awesome, thank you sir!

4. smacky

smacky Banned

Should be, but don't take chances. Make a folder on the desktop of your PC labeled "Phone Backup" or whatever. Drag everything from the SD card to that folder.

Make sure everything is completely transfered to the folder and then delete/reformat the SD card. Now I just realized you said OTA. Still, do the previous step for good housekeeping on the phone.

Yes, your apps will be gone and your contacts will be too. If the contacts have been saved as Google contacts (go to GMail, click on contacts, can you see your phone contacts too?) they will automatically sync when you log in on the phone again with your GMail account. If they are not Google contacts (they don't show up in GMail) find an app to back them up (PM me, I'll give you some names).

Download an app (free) called AppBrain. Make an account with them and sync your apps with them.

When you install 2.1 and have logged in with your GMail account, your contacts will sync.

Go to the Market and download AppBrain again. Sign in to your account there and all your apps should be there waiting for redownload again.

You should be back to (roughly) where you were on 1.5.

There should be another OTA after the 2.1 update, and that shouldn't wipe your phone. If it does, just repeat the steps from above.

5. srmccoy

Honestly, going from 1.5 to 2.1 doesn't really need a full wipe and re-install. I wiped my eris before and after the update, but on my wife's and her friend's phones I just did the OTA. Nothing was wiped and they worked flawlessly.

You CAN do all of that, but the OTA was designed to keep most stuff intact.

6. BH3

Can I root with this OTA update?

7. srmccoy

8. BH3

i think the brainfarts are subsiding....thank you all for going easy on me.

9. smacky

smacky Banned

You should still invest in MyBackupPro. It works wonders when you do resets and clear the phone when installing ROMs.

Assuming you have rooted, I always make it good practice to wipe the phone every time as well as the Dalvik Cache, just to eliminate problems with the ROM booting up. So having something there extracts and automatically installs apps and restores contacts for you is pretty handy.

10. BH3

thanks for the tips!