Please don't "freak"... but... stylus anyone??Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Marknsat

Marknsat Member This Topic's Starter

Having seen a few comments about fingerprints (on the touch screen - go figure)... I'm just wondering: Will the incredible function with a stylus?

Advertisement
  2. simmonsjeffreya

simmonsjeffreya New Member

This is purely a guess but i'd have to say no.. its a capacitively activated screen AFAIK so wouldn't work that way. That being said perhaps there is some stylus out there that has been designed for these types of screens, hut I've not seen one. Hopefully someone else has actual info on this though.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

3. CarlGustav

CarlGustav Member

4. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

a smoked sausage will also work

5. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

It's a capacitive screen, meaning it doesn't register your standard, pressure-based inputs that many styli devices use. You have to get a special stylus that supports capacitive screens and they do not provide pin-point accuracy (a consequence with using the capacitive touch technology).

6. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

stop eating chicken and ribs at lunch and just use your fingers.

ted2go likes this.
  7. Bushflyr

Bushflyr Well-Known Member

It's a good excuse to wash your hands more. With soap. But, although he isn't currently making them, I REALLY want a Jones Bros. stylus.

[​IMG]

8. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

LMAO

Best first post evah! +1

9. tluv00

tluv00 Well-Known Member

10. jsuomi

jsuomi New Member

Just ordered a dagi capacitive stylus to use with MobileWrite. My fingers are as big as sausages:). I'm making the "slow" input transition from Palm to Android...

11. starogreen

starogreen Well-Known Member

12. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

If the object is to avoid finger prints, rubbing your screen with sausage and hot dogs isn't the solution :D

13. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I would assume as long as you are holding the sausage properly you can completely avoid the fingerprints all together :rolleyes:

reprogle and highvolts like this.
  14. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

I don't get the title. Did you just come from an iPenis forum and get yelled at by Steve Jobs personally? Were not control freaks here at the Android forums so chill out your safe to express the fact that you might want something different than what Mr.Jobs feeds them.

15. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Since I've been referred to many times as "The human tripod" I won't need any meat substitutes! :D

16. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I don't know what a commercial stylus would cost but you could make one yourself without meat products.
    A piece of conductive foam like you might have from any chips you have bought, an empty pen casing, and a bit of wire. Strip the wire and wrap it around the foam, pull it through the pen so a little foam sticks out. Excess wire wraps around the outside of the pen and then taped up to keep it there. Trim the foam tip to a nice shape. voila, conductive stylus.

17. gorenut

gorenut Well-Known Member

Yup, need to get a
    capacitive stylus

From what I understand, they don't really work quite as well as a stylus that you might traditionally be used to since these phone screens require a certain amount of surface area to register the touch. Here are some examples of ones that are on sale:
    Amazon.com: Ten One Design T1-AP25-102 Pogo Sketch Stylus for iPhone 3G, 3G S:…
    and
    Amazon.com: Google Nexus One mini Capacitive Stylus: Cell Phones & Service

I've yet to test any of them out.. but coming from a graphic design/illustrator standpoint and used to using Wacom tablets: these might seem awkward to use for anything more than the casual pointing/cursor functions. I can imagine these being slightly better than using your fingers for art programs/drawing. I'd still like to test one out some day though.

18. knebel22

knebel22 Well-Known Member

Coming from a PDA I am used to a stylus. I bought a
    capacitive stylus from ebay. Good thing it was only 99 cents because it doesn't work.

I for one don't like the virtual keyboard.

Denise

19. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I think we all came from PocketPC's at some point. I know I have had my fair share such as the TP and TP2 just recently and I think if you give the capacitive screen a fair chance you'll see just how encumbering and tedious having to use a stylus was.

BTW, Welcome to the forums.

20. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

i HATED my winmo phone and having to use a stylus for EVERYTHING. my gosh how annoying. which is why i toted around my ipod touch... capacitive screens > resistive screens... who needs a stylus? use your fingers people, that's what the screen is made for, the whole entire phone is designed to be used by your fingers!!

21. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

There are plenty of things a stylus is better at then using your finger. Like handwriting recognition. People have their preferences, so let them

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

22. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

You can use your fingers on resistive as well, the problem isn't the technology but the software underneath. Windows Mobile was not "finger-friendly" and thus it got a lot of heat when it became more popular amongst smartphones. Resistive screens aren't bad, they're nearly as responsive as capacitive touchscreens now and lack "multitouch" support.

Capacitive touchscreens are great if you aren't looking for accuracy and like having big buttons. I've got a resistive touchscreen on my Viliv S5 and love it - no complaints, works like a charm and is probably as-resistive as a capacitive screen.

23. KX4SAM

KX4SAM Well-Known Member

I hope you are right. Still using my Black Berry, wondering if my HTC will ever come in!

24. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

i just hate usin a stylus for everything... and i had windows 6.5 on my xv6800 which is more greared for the 'styless' age (lack of stylus). and it still was horrible for finger movement.. i basically stopped using my phone altogether because it was such a pain to use.

25. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually tried a regular stylus with the Incredible? Its Atmel Maxtouch sensor is actually meant to support stylus use (and they mean a regular stylus, they also mention gloved fingers and fingernails).