• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please excuse the Rookie

sorry about that.

ok, i'm no pro, but this is my understanding.... rooting is sort of the process of breaking the firewall into the system permissions. as part of the rooting process, an app called superuser is installed.

once the wall has been broken (root), the superuser app then sort of stands there as sentry to that wall, sort of monitoring what other apps are trying to get inside. superuser, when it confronts an app that is trying to get in, will post a message to the user asking if access is to be permitted or denied.

the superuser app can do nothing at all unless root is first achieved. case in point to what just happened to me: my nexus 7 just now got an update to android 4.4.2. now, my device was rooted before, and in my app drawer i had the superuser app. now, the update re-built the firewall. i'm left with a device that has been updated, and with the wall built up again. but in my app drawer there still sits the superuser app that was previously installed. it is powerless right now. tomorrow i'll root again.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Superuser is an app that accesses a utility called su. su is what's really giving out the permissions, Superuser is just the user graphic utility that keep you from having to run a terminal app and typing su <and the name of the app you want to have root access>. Basically.

So an update can remove su (by replacing the current version of Android with a later one (that has no su program) and leave the Superuser app in the app drawer. Superuser calls su to give some app permissions and basically gets a "su is not an internal or external command" error message (which it no longer is, since it doesn't exist in th updated version of Android until you root THAT one as well) - which it shows you as some simple wording saying that root failed..

Upvote 0
Okay, here comes the windbag, but remember, you asked ... :p

Let's first start with the term root. Root comes from linux/unix where "root" is the term used to describe the lowest level of the file system which is the base of any computer-based device. An administrator may or may not have access to everything, but a root user surely does. The root user owns the system. Because of this, the root user can do anything which is very dangerous on critical systems. One wrong command and *poof* there goes the enterprise. Most System adminstrators avoid logging in as root and instead set up administrative accounts that have access to most, but not all of the file system ... but I digress ... as usual.

Perhaps to understand file permissions in modern file systems. For all intents and purposes, there is the file owner, group and everyone else. For each of these, there is the ability to set the file/directory (okay, we can call it a folder if you want, but it's really a directory. And, stay off my lawn *shakes fist*) to the ability to read the contents, write to the contents, both read and write to the contents or block access entirely. By setting combinations of user groups and file permissions you have the miracle of a secure file system.

"Rooting" an android device means you have the ability to elevate the permissions of a user or app to "root" giving it access to everything, everywhere. Now you must understand that when you root a device it is NOT running as root all the time. That's why you need su (superuser) and the app that manages it like SuperSU. You only elevate permissions at the time it's needed to perform system level tasks and then the user/app is immediately demoted to the normal permissions.

Rooting does nothing to your files or apps or that confused look on your face the device. It only give you the ability to do something, not actually do something. (Does that make sense?)

The apps you mention are utilities. SuperSU manages those apps or users that have root permissions and grant/deny access when needed. Root checkers only check to make sure you have the ability to elevate permissions so if you needed root for something it would be available. That "your device is rooted" message I think is simply an example of what it would look like and not a claim that it will work. Or it could be that I haven't had enough coffee yet. It's an even bet right now.

I'm going to have another cup and mull this over some more. If anything else comes to mind I'll ... shut up because I don't want your head to explode ... yet. ;)

Upvote 0
boathead Thanks for the link Any Kocaso stuff I found had screenshots of UI's in Chinese.

And windbag,err...a...I mean lunatic59.What can I say? A marvel of well organized detail and conveyance of thought with an incredible flare for writing.A columnist is your true calling.
I think you were able to get through my thick scull with your last attempt,but just to verify that the old guy here has it right,if we revisit the link that I provided to our fellow members post,has he "rooted" that tablet by installing Superuser followed by Root Checker and then getting the verification-yes or no?

Upvote 0
boathead Thanks for the link Any Kocaso stuff I found had screenshots of UI's in Chinese.

And windbag,err...a...I mean lunatic59.What can I say? A marvel of well organized detail and conveyance of thought with an incredible flare for writing.A columnist is your true calling.
I think you were able to get through my thick scull with your last attempt,but just to verify that the old guy here has it right,if we revisit the link that I provided to our fellow members post,has he "rooted" that tablet by installing Superuser followed by Root Checker and then getting the verification-yes or no?
the superuser you are seeing is just an app to manage other apps that can achieve superuser status (root access), the app itself will not root your phone. You can put superuser on an unrooted device but it will not do anything. The purpose of the pictures are usually just to proove that he has gained root access on his device, it is not necessarily showing the process to gain root access. (look i made it to the top of the mountain!)

The process of "rooting" an android device is usually accomplished using a PC(linux, windows, Mac) in tandem with the device. The process can range from very simple (typing a few commands into the computer) to very complicated and risky.

Upvote 0
Okay, here comes the windbag, but remember, you asked ... :p
I read through the entire post, looking for at least one word I could find fault with.

I actually did - you have a lawn in this weather?

EXCELLENT explanation of *nix permissions for a beginner. Or even someone not such a beginner. (You guys didn't know that you're carrying a Linux box in your pocket, didja?)

Upvote 0
I read through the entire post, looking for at least one word I could find fault with.

I actually did - you have a lawn in this weather?

Never heard of astroturf?

(You guys didn't know that you're carrying a Linux box in your pocket, didja?)

Nah, we're just happy to see you. :vroam:

Upvote 0

Okay, getting back to the topic ...

I think what happened was that the guy got lucky. I've seen off-brand devices come rooted out of the box. It's a lazy (and dangerous) way of setting these things up, but by doing everything as root, you don't have to worry about permissions at all, you can just put files anywhere. Of course without SuperSU, you won't be able to elevate privileges ... at least not at the app level, but I won't explain because it's not time for you head to explode yet.

So, by taking a shot and installing SuperSU and root checker he/she discovered that the device was rooted. These apps didn't actually root it. They can't.

Upvote 0
Does it have a custom recovery and if not, how would he install one if there is one for his device?
Hehe another can of worms :D

I have a cheapo tablet that I rooted but it has no supported Recovery nor does it have any custom ROMS for it. So basically I rooted it just to root it. I no longer use that particular tablet as its Gingerbread and probably wont get any updates to ICS much less Kit Kat. So I use it as a Learning experience. Always check the community before you buy that way you end up getting what you really want. I now have a Nexus 7 with the latest updates and its rooted. I haven't flashed a custom ROM on it but I do have the ability to if I should choose.

Upvote 0
Just for $hits and giggles,I tried the Superuser and Root Checker on the Kocaso 1050S and was successful.It's doubtful I'll be going any farther with this tab due to it's limited hardware.If it would browse faster,I might use it from time to time for Email and such (yes,been looking into alternative browsers and tweaks for them)
Wondering if anyone knew if the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is keeping current with Android updates.Saw a refurb cheap,running 4.0,and better hardware than the Kocaso,but not Asus good.Thoughts anyone?

Upvote 0
Just for $hits and giggles,I tried the Superuser and Root Checker on the Kocaso 1050S and was successful.It's doubtful I'll be going any farther with this tab due to it's limited hardware.If it would browse faster,I might use it from time to time for Email and such (yes,been looking into alternative browsers and tweaks for them)
Wondering if anyone knew if the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is keeping current with Android updates.Saw a refurb cheap,running 4.0,and better hardware than the Kocaso,but not Asus good.Thoughts anyone?

To be honest I don't know much about the Galaxy Tab just that I have heard of it. The best place for questions about it are going to be found in the forums for it.

Here is a link to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Forums

Maybe the Guys and Gals over there can give you a bit more info on the device.

PS Be sure to check out the all root section for more indepth rooting info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones