Please excuse

Last Updated:

1. ianblaise

ianblaise New Member This Topic's Starter

Please excuse me for my noob question that I'm about to ask, but an answer as simple as possible will suffice.

First off let me just say that I have never rooted my phone, I have never used any ROMs, and I'm completely legit as of right now.

I have an Eris, 2.1 OS;
    now I'm interested in rooting my phone and using some custom ROMs.
    Looking at some of these guides I've seen people say a few different things,
    some people say with the official 2.1 firmware you cannot root your phone, and that you have to be using 1.5 and upgrade with a custom ROM to 2.1 (or something to that effect).

I would have already given this a try, and probably figured this out by now, but I'm worried that I will brick my phone and have to just throw it away.

So any support, links, or info of any kind would be great.

Thanks

Oh yes, and my question :D almost forgot,
    Is rooting my phone on an official 2.1 firmware release possible? and how can it be done

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

If you are on OTA-2.1 and you have never done anything other than apply OTA upgrades as they were released by HTC/VZW, then your phone may be rooted if you desire.

Also, the methods/instructions are no different than what you would use if your phone was a 1.5 phone.

There might have been some agressive devs that bricked their phones, but there have been very few, if any, reports of people "bricking" their phones as a result of attempting the rooting process.

There have been individuals that got part way through the process - the first part of it, basically, and then got confused or gave up. That leaves them with a serviceable, but very buggy early 2.1 ROM. Generally those have been individuals that would self-describe their computer skills as "weak" or "poor".

If you would describe yourself the same way, I would suggest that you avoid attempting root.

eu1

ianblaise likes this.
  3. ianblaise

ianblaise New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply, that's just about all the information I needed :D

I'm computer savvy, not really with the android framework or java for that matter. Basically I just use C++ and C# for all my computer-related issues, but considering this is a phone, I just wanted to be careful :)