PLEASE HELP 2.1 OTA i want root

Last Updated:

1. jonnyeris

jonnyeris Member This Topic's Starter

ok i have been searching for HOURS. im going nuts trying to find a good guide. everything is for 1.5 users or what ever. is there a step by step guide on how to root a 2.1 OTA?! i know theres that one thread but the guy took his program down to fix bugs so that thread is useless untill thats fixed. there has got to be other ways to do it. also is there a guide on how to install different roms once you have root? please help. thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

the steps for rooting the 2.1 ota are the same as rooting 1.5. Follow the sticky and you will get there.

3. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

and they are a little hard to understand for people new to smart phones and rooting, im finding it hard to root and hard to find help. ("its all in the sticky")i will just keep reading and try to put it all together.:(

4. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

5. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

yes i know what stickies are lol,(as said before people try to direct me there ) and they took that app down yesterday as it was buggy, they are working on code........:cool:

6. jonnyeris

ok iv downloaded the SDK an its installing the files to the SDK. we will see what happens...*fingers crossed*

7. jreed2560

trust me, I wish there were a magic button to root your phone. But were hacking a phone here. It's hard to dumb it down or simplify what needs to be done because its just not a simple process. Its honestly not a difficult process either, but it is a detailed one. Each step must be done in order and followed precisely or it won't work. What problem specifically are you having?

8. jonnyeris

ok im flipping out. i cant install the usb driver. when i plug it in it says new hardware found if i try to install a driver that way it says access denied. when i go to update it through device manager i click right click an select update driver. then i click browse my computer for driver software. the path selected it C:\Users\myusername\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\usb_drive. and i have include sub folders checked. i can either click "let me pick from a list of divce drivers on my computer" or click next. if i click let me pick it says the only thing found is WPD microsoft file system volume driver. if i click next insted of that option as in useing the path to the sdk folder it says windows can not find the driver. but i have the folder there installed. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!??! an yes i have it in debug mode an charge only

9. jreed2560

part of the update packages you need to install with the SDK is USB drivers for 2.1 devices. Run the SDK setup again and make sure to install the usb drivers package.

10. jonnyeris

its still saying the same thing.

11. jonnyeris

i have the usb drivers for the sdk. but i cant update it to devise manager.

12. dclay89

dclay89 Well-Known Member

13. jonnyeris

nothing is working.

14. dclay89

Did you download HTC Sync?? Also, what Windows OS are you using? You should be able to just download HTC Sync, then plug your phone in with debugging on, and it should install the drivers for you...

15. jonnyeris

yes i downloaded HTC sync. im useing vista. its not recognizing my phone for some reason.

16. jonnyeris

if i try to use the install_root script is just says error device not found.

17. dclay89

Ok, plug your phone into your computer via USB cable... Go to Device Manager and click portable devices.. Does it say Android Phone?? Or is there still a yellow exclamation mark by it?

18. jonnyeris

it says android phone an there is another tab called other devices an it says ADB under it an that has a yellow exclamation. that pops up when i plug it in

19. dclay89

I'm on a Mac so I probably can't be much help.. The HTC Sync install worked for me on my old Windows computer though. All you should have to do after you get SDK working is run the install_root.bat

20. jonnyeris

i have a mac too. maybe i should try it on that. the sdk works for mac too?

21. dclay89

Ok, so obviously SDK isn't working.. I thought when you plugged your phone in via USB you should be prompted to install drivers..

22. dclay89

23. jonnyeris

thanks im going to try that now.

24. jonnyeris

i give up. useing osx is even more complicated. with the terminal an all that. i just kept getting bus errors. plus i rarely never use my mac so i know nothing about them. i fail. :(

25. zeroecko

zeroecko Member

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and to rooting. I've had my eris for a month now and I am looking at possibly doing some other roms. I am downloading SDK now, but I think I may know what your issue is...You're using Vista. I love Vista, but I bet it's meant to be done in XP....could be a compatibiliy issue...I have 7, so lets see if it works there...