Please HELP! 2 different IMEI on one S4General

1. vickyhoang

vickyhoang New Member

Hey guys I'm new so please help me with my new galaxy s4!
    Ok so I was always a big fan of Iphone, but since Samsung Galaxy is so well known and popular now, I've decided to give it a try as I pay $400 for a S4 on craigslist. I went home and tell me why I saw 2 different IMEI; one on the "About phone" and one on the back of that phone. I went online checking the IMEI, one worked and one was invalide I'm freaking out. I don't know if I got a scam with a fake S4 or not :(

Advertisement
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Hello Vickyhoang welcome to Android Forums. :)

The IMEIs should always match up. If they don't then almost certainly something fishy has been going on with that phone. Yes, I think you might have been scammed. It's not necessarily a fake S4, could have been one stolen or missing, and someone has tampered with the IMEI.
  3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hello and welcome aboard, vickyhoang.

I've moved your thread to its area of discussion. Hopefully other users of this phone might chime in with their thoughts on your concern.

Thanks for joining. :)
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I agree with mikedt, it's probably not fake. However, you can check yourself. There is an app in the Play Store called Genuine Galaxy S4/S3/Note II that is free and well rated that will allow you to check whether your phone is genuine or not.

I would be very surprised if it is not genuine, but less surprised if someone has tampered with the IMEI after it was stolen.

Out of interest, which IMEI is the valid one?
  5. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

I was going to ask the same question as to which one is the valid number.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

All the knock-offs I've seen, sure there's never been any problem with mismatched/suspicious IMEIs and blacklisting. These all new cellphones straight from the factories.

The OP's problem shows one of the dangers of buying a used phone from something like Craigslist. You have to be very careful and do your checks properly. Like meeting at a cellphone dealer who can verify to both parties that the phone is OK.