Please help a potential HTC Incredible Noon:-)General

Last Updated:

1. jimmychoi

jimmychoi Member This Topic's Starter

Hello folks,
    First...I just want to say hello to everyone on the forum.
    I know you probably get questions(I did search but did not find exactly what I was looking for) all the time from potential noobs, but I have a few more. I have been with Verizon for about ten years, and I don't really have any intentions of switching. I've had blackberrys for a number of years, and I've simply lost interest in them. My 2yr contract has been up for awhile, and it's about time to replace the old curve. While I attempted to demo an Incredible(local store's model was dead) I was wondering how smoothly the transition from using a BB will be to an android phone like the incredible? How much more capable is the Incredible than my BB? I have friends that have Iphones, but I'm not interested in changing from VW, so that is not an option.

Overall...I want to know how much better of a phone the Incredible is over my BB and even the newer BB models. I appreciate the help and hope to be around the forum for awhile. :) James

Advertisement
  2. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

Incredible is an 11, Curve is a 4...the transition will be easy, this phone is so easy to learn and use, it does everything you could imagine and then some, I watched the World Cup live on my phone yest and today, I mean really, and the quality was pretty good too! Swype, handcent, and beautiul widgets are 3 of my favorite apps to use, and as of yesterday v cast videos, :) the phone is smarter than smart!

3. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member

Hello...As someone that has been on a BB Curve for 2+ years and has switched about 5 days ago, it's like Apples and Oranges. A blackberry is a straight to the point, phone that does EXACTLY what it's supposed to do (emailing and phone). However, the Incredible is a WHOLE OTHER bag of worms. It does EVERYTHING!! Great for web browsing, great for life productivity (more user friendly calendars, to-do lists, etc), you have resources for every walk of life, in the palm of your hand. I mean, there are things that come factory installed on the blackberry that are not factory installed on the Incredible (like the capability to personalize profiles), but then you can find applications that will meet those needs.

It really is a GREAT phone and I find myself using it ALL DAY long, for functions and uses, much more than checking my email and making a phone call..

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

my sister runs her businesses off of her smartphone. I switched her from the curve to the incredible last month. she loves it and doesn't miss the keyboard. she does text and email all the time. Hope this helps.

Steven

5. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

It's better. Much, much better.

-HD

6. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

I came from the bb Tour and the only things I really miss are the bright led to notify of new messages, mail, etc and the ability to set colors of the led. I also miss the vibrating function of the bb. You could hear it vibrate from across the room. The Inc is very weak in those areas. Otherwise, it is light years ahead of the bb. As mentioned, true calendar apps that resemble a laptop google calendar, super fast web surfing with full pages and pinch zoom for easy reading.

I thought I would really miss the keyboard as I hate typing on a screen. HOWEVER, I have both Swype and Shapewriter installed and would never go back to a keyboard lol. I show people how fast "drag" texting is (you just put your finger on first letter of word then slide from letter to letter of the rest of the word and it appears) and their jaws just drop in amazement. Kinda like magic lol.

Get the Inc, you won't be disappointed. Plus you can always take it back within 30 days and go back to the bb, but I don't think you will choose that option.

7. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member

Can you explain this?? I've never heard NOR seen this and I have a DINC.

Be careful with this as I just found out, last week, that Verizon's "worry free 30 day guarantee" has a few little changes to it. You can no longer just return it and get full refund. You actually have fees that come along with it now. Could run you like $30-$70 at the end of it all.

Just be careful.

8. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

Third-party text input.

Swype - Swype | Text Input for Screens

Shapewriter - ShapeWriter

The standard keyboard is... standard. Other input software is available on the market (though I think Swype is still in beta and no longer available (on the market)).

Haven't tried either yet myself, but I've heard great things.

-HD

9. canibus6

canibus6 Member

I had a BB Bold on AT&T for almost 2 years and it was good while it lasted. The only thing you won't like about this phone is how long it will take for you to get your hands on one. I looked everywhere, including authorized resellers like Staples/Best Buy/Ritz Camera/etc and was lucky enough to track one down in about a week and a half at Ritz and had them ship it from a Minnesota store to MA :D. Gotta call VZ to cancel my to be shipped by June 24th DINC.

Every time you change to a dif phone, there will be a learning time gap. This phone is very easy to use whether you're a nerd or not. As mentioned already, this phone does pretty much anything/everything on the go. You're carrying basically a palm sized netbook in your pocket. Lots of apps available and more to come I'm sure for things you need and don't need. It definitely a worthwhile switch.

10. jimmychoi

Thanks folks...I really appreciate all the advice. I've been hesitant to move on because I'm so familiar with my BB. One thing that I think will take some time is getting used to a touchpad. I've had buddies state that the apps for Android phones lack quality....although ...compared to the BB apps....it will probably seem light years ahead

11. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

It's $35 restocking fee which has been around for years. They charge this because once you return it they can no longer sell it as new they must sell it for much less as a certified used phone.

12. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member

This hasn't been around for years. Verizon was one of the only carriers to pride themselves on a 30-day worry free guaranteed return policy. This is relatively new. I used it multiple times and NEVER had to pay a restocking fee like many businesses charge.

It's absolutely RIDICULOUS!

13. ghess517

ghess517 Member

this is my first smart phone. and if the technology keeps improving, wont be my last. have only had standard phone (and back in the day-Palm Pilot) like canibus6 said, your basically carrying a notebook computer in your hand.
    I use it for most everything now, and am still finding apps and capabilities that will make things even easier. Have yet to use Maps to full potential. I use my INC. at work everyday (work in a auto parts store with no outside internet access-need to find a rare or hard to find part-here comes the INC.) I have only seen 2 other Inc. in the wild, 1 HTC hero, and none of the evos yet-and I feel like i have something that only the priveliged few should have. LOL

14. jimmychoi

Well....while someone I spoke to today told me to wait for the MotoX(?? not sure if this is the actual model name) I ordered an Incredible. The only thing is that I was told it could take 4-6 weeks to be delivered....according to the salesperson anyway. That makes me a little concerned. Thanks and I look forward to hanging around the forum