Please help - after the last OTA update my phone is now possessed

Last Updated:

1. scottnyc

scottnyc New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

My girlfriend has had the EVO (non-rooted) for the past month, and on the this past week did the OTA update, and believes to have done the second 'bricking' update. (phone currently shows build number: 1.47.651.1 CL19xxxx release-keys - i x'd out the last 4 digits as I don't know if those are unique to her phone)

But the difference is that her phone didn't become completely bricked - instead she can still turn it on, and occasionally use it, but now the following problems happen with her phone..

1. it goes into periods of extreme sluggishness where the screen just doesn't respond.

2. it starts opening and clicking buttons on it's own (possessed) without her doing anything (often times it brings up the weather and clock widget, tries to add random apps from the marketplace.)

I've done a factory reset, but apparently that doesn't revert the software to before the OTA, so the issues still persist.

Unfortunately, we're on vacation in Hawaii right now and she can't get to a store for a week. Sprint has been less than helpful.

Q: Since we do have some control of the phone - is there anyway to revert the phone to it's factory state with the original software (pre-ota update, and without having to re-activating the phone with spring I guess...?)

And has any one else had this problem as well?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement
  2. djdryon

djdryon New Member

I'm suffering from the same issue. i'd love to be able to use my phone without having to worry about it freaking out all the time. it's become Q, notifications menu, clock, and navi happy.

3. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

download the latest supersonic rom and reimage your phone should fix it

4. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

Did you do this one?

You can do a hard reset which will bring the OS back to a "I just bought it from the store" state.

How to hard reset the HTC EVO 4G - Know Your Cell

Please note that all data will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    2. Hold the Volume Down button
    3. Press and release the Power button
    4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    6. Press and release the Power button
    7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
    If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

5. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member