• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please help!!!! bugs up the wazoo with this ****in thing

::sigh:: since i got this phone ive been having so many ******ed problems with it. for a brief period the phone would restart on its own this woulkd happen a few times randomly. there are lots of bugs with the phone, freezing up restarting applications malfunctioning. the unlock slider button on my phone jerks when i slide it across the screen to unlock the phone, as in it seems like it should be one fluid movement but its not, its a jerky movement across the screen, slow and jerky JERKY! It was refurbished when i bought it but i dont know if that has anything to do with it. i did call verizion and tell them about my problems they said i could try and trouble shoot over the phone or buy a new phone full retail price. you cant troubleshoot a phone that doesn't ****ing already work. ok so lately aside from all the ******ed bugs with basically the majority of my apps (like Camera 360) malfunctions VERY often and its simply frustrating due to the fact that i love to shoot and i love the 8 mp camera but the ****ing orginal camera app that came with the phone sucks balls and i cant seem to find a better one. as the weeks continue i try to come to terms with the fact that the phone sucks and i have to deal. so lately ive been trying to change the themes on my phone and thats been a ****ing ridiculous task all its on. one problem ive been having is that apparently there are two different kinds of themes or theme operating systems" not sure what youd cal them but one you need to dl adw program before running the themes or something... sometimes when i apply the theme the status bar will remain the same no matter what theme i apply, i noticed that thats not supposed to happen. that the status bar should change when you change the theme.

i unno- if anyone ...anyone at all can offer me some kind of advice on any of the issues ive mentioned here please i will be more than just appreciative!!! :eek:

i sometimes wish i had gotten the stuoid iphone, but i didnt wanan be like everyone else.

Welcome to the forums!! Lots of folks here are more than willing to help you out so don't be affraid to ask any questions, thats how we all learned!!

First off, did verizon have you do a factory reset? If not, I would try that first. If that doesn't get you what you want, you could look into going deeper and rooting your phone then applying a custom ROM and theme it that way. There are a lot more option if you root your phone but it depends if you want to go that far. Most of the custom ROMs remove the "bloat" that verizon preloads on these things and simply removing that stuff will increase your performace, along with many other tweeks you can do to it. Let us know how far you are willing to go and we can go from there.

Upvote 0
im fairly tech savvy but not THAT tech savvy... im not sure what you mean by rooting it? ill do whatever it takes. i think im stuck with this thing so i wanna try whatever i can to improve performance. it was refurbished im not sure if i mentioned that. but i read the requirements of refurbishing and it seems like they do a complete overhaul of the phone before selling it. i guess if you could just tell me what i need to do step by step ill do it. alot of the apps i have malfunction like crazy... sometimes i get an error saying a running app has crashed. but im assuming thats probably normal. i know its stupid but i cant figure out why the sliding unlock bar is jerky. it was like that when i first got it.

Upvote 0
im fairly tech savvy but not THAT tech savvy... im not sure what you mean by rooting it? ill do whatever it takes. i think im stuck with this thing so i wanna try whatever i can to improve performance. it was refurbished im not sure if i mentioned that. but i read the requirements of refurbishing and it seems like they do a complete overhaul of the phone before selling it. i guess if you could just tell me what i need to do step by step ill do it. alot of the apps i have malfunction like crazy... sometimes i get an error saying a running app has crashed. but im assuming thats probably normal. i know its stupid but i cant figure out why the sliding unlock bar is jerky. it was like that when i first got it.

Rooting very simply means achieving Administrator rights to your phone, and having the ability to install programs that Motorola and Verizon would rather that you didn't install. How you achieve root on a Droid X is a much trickier thing to answer, and one that I'm not qualified, myself, to give, but if you look here - All-In-One POST ROOT Thread - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum - as well as here - http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...root-guide-updated-march-28-4-pm-eastern.html you'll find some useful information on rooting your Droid X. The earlier poster was right when he said that rooting your phone, may open the door for resolving the problems you've been experiencing.

Be advised up front though that rooting is not necessarily easy. It's doable, if you can follow instructions to the letter, and have patience, but it WILL void your warranty. That's not really that big of a deal, and it's something that all of us who have chosen to root understand. You're basically on your own, walking the tightrope without a safety net as it were. If you screw-up, and your phone becomes unusable, there are many nice helpful people here who are *really* knowledgeable about these phones (I'm NOT one of those really knowledgeable people), who will be more than happy to walk you through the problem and get you up and running. You just can't approach rooting as "Well, if it goes wrong, I'll just send the phone back to Verizon and get another" - because that isn't really fair. Read up on rooting, if you're confident that you know what's involved, go for it.

HTH,

-Mike

Upvote 0
::sigh:: since i got this phone ive been having so many ******ed problems with it. for a brief period the phone would restart on its own this woulkd happen a few times randomly. there are lots of bugs with the phone, freezing up restarting applications malfunctioning. the unlock slider button on my phone jerks when i slide it across the screen to unlock the phone, as in it seems like it should be one fluid movement but its not, its a jerky movement across the screen, slow and jerky JERKY! It was refurbished when i bought it but i dont know if that has anything to do with it. i did call verizion and tell them about my problems they said i could try and trouble shoot over the phone or buy a new phone full retail price. you cant troubleshoot a phone that doesn't ****ing already work. ok so lately aside from all the ******ed bugs with basically the majority of my apps (like Camera 360) malfunctions VERY often and its simply frustrating due to the fact that i love to shoot and i love the 8 mp camera but the ****ing orginal camera app that came with the phone sucks balls and i cant seem to find a better one. as the weeks continue i try to come to terms with the fact that the phone sucks and i have to deal. so lately ive been trying to change the themes on my phone and thats been a ****ing ridiculous task all its on. one problem ive been having is that apparently there are two different kinds of themes or theme operating systems" not sure what youd cal them but one you need to dl adw program before running the themes or something... sometimes when i apply the theme the status bar will remain the same no matter what theme i apply, i noticed that thats not supposed to happen. that the status bar should change when you change the theme.

i unno- if anyone ...anyone at all can offer me some kind of advice on any of the issues ive mentioned here please i will be more than just appreciative!!! :eek:

i sometimes wish i had gotten the stuoid iphone, but i didnt wanan be like everyone else.

If you'd like a video walk-through of rooting your Droid X, see this - YouTube - Motorola Droid X Froyo 2.2 Root Instructions and Overclock By AccessoryGeeks

-Mike

Upvote 0
Start with something easy like a new launcher such as launcher pro or adw. I didn't have any problems with mine before trying launcher pro, I installed it just to get the home screens in landscape.

If you do try one of the other launchers, make sure to remove all of the widgets from the current screens first.

Are you using an automatic task killer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones