Please Help!! Desire is driving me crazy!!!

Last Updated:

1. viv

viv Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys

Hope you don't mind me posting, I'm new to this forum as well as Android, and HTC! Anyways I've had my Desire for about a month now, and its starting to really irritate me. Its a great phone for everything apart from calling and sending texts.

People seem to constantly be directed to my answerphone even when I have full reception. Its not always the case but it does happen frequently and I am missing important phone calls. Also on occasion it seems to take 10-15 seconds to connect to a call (even when I have full reception) and does often fail to connect at all. Its extremely frustrating. I am also having problems sending texts (once again I do have reception) as the phone tells me it is unable to send the message and keeps retrying and eventually when it does send people receive multiple copies of the same text.

Please please help, its driving me crazy and I need to sort it out quickly as I am missing too many important calls!

Thanks, your help is most appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. zoidy84

zoidy84 Well-Known Member

where are you based and what network are you on?

3. viv

I'm on orange and based in west yorkshire and manchester

4. carbonara

carbonara Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like this is network issues instead of being an issue with the phone.

5. viv

I always have reception and never had problems like this with them before though

6. Nickc001

Nickc001 Well-Known Member

i second that ^^^^

ive had phones (on orange and o2) that no matter how good my signal is refuse to send texts, and people ring me, or i ring from my house phoneto check, it always goes to my answer machine. With vodafone and have had no such problems.

7. mbatson89

mbatson89 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, i have to agree with all the above, sounds like network issues as oppose to your handset. Have you tried re-booting the phone or a hard reset? If no luck with that, ring your provider and see what they suggest.

8. viv

yeah tried hard reset, well i've sent an email to HTC and see what they say. I can't imagine it is my network though as I've had Orange in the past and just switched from O2 and never had anything like this. Find it quite bizarre

9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I have all the problems above. I have to put it onairplane mode and then off again before texts / calls work.

As for the issue with calls being sent to voicemail, still not sure on that one.

O2 uk

10. viv

Surely it cannot be a network issue if the desire is causing these issues on both Orange and O2

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The only issue of these above I had on my o2 blakberry was the long connection time. The others are.new to me on the desire.

12. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

13. origdav

origdav Well-Known Member

As I've said in this thread:

I experience the same messages on O2.

As previously mentioned, when using 2G / GPRS you can't use voice and data at the same time. So if your phone is using data, e.g. background stuff like the weather app, this will cause issues like someone calling you going straight to voice mail without your phone ringing.

All GPRS networks have this limitation.

With 3G networks this problem is solved and you can download and accept calls at the same time. If the status bar at the top shows a large G then you are using GPRS and will encounter this problem.

If you're desperate and it's a problem then turning off Internet while in a GPRS area is the only way to fix this problem. I think connecting to a home Wi-Fi network may also solve the problem.

SB13X likes this.
  14. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

Try switching to GSM only for a few days and see if the issue disappears (as it did in my case) - obviously make sure there's no data use going on either overtly or in the background.

15. Necroman_AI

Necroman_AI New Member

You could have a SIM card problem or a faulty Desire for sure...

16. paulcooper

paulcooper Well-Known Member

I am having similar issues, new simcard new phone - still same problem.

Thinking of leaving t-mobile......

17. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Since the thread is now up here, apparently lots of the texts I send are being received more than once. I don't get any errors on my end, the recipient just gets the message twice. Apparently it happens about a third of the time. I'm on Orange (Which I expect is the problem).

18. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Sms or mms? There's an option in handcent to check message is saved under retrieval settings which also seems to generate multiple messages being sent.

Mostly an mms issue Iirc

Phenomenological likes this.
  19. Phenomenological

SMS, haven't sent any MMS. Have tried unchecking that option, will see if it makes a difference!

20. teen

teen New Member

hello im om my second htc desire, the 1st went back becuase of 3g and signal problems. showing full signal but people kept getting my answer phone, problems now my second turns its self on and off all i can say is 3rd time lucky but i really am starting to hate this phone.

21. Phenomenological

nx1977 - Hasn't totally solved the problem, but apparently has greatly reduced the frequency to more like 1 in 50 texts than 1 in 3, which suits me just fine. :)

22. dazzler22

dazzler22 Member

Seems I'm not the only one having this issue. Over the last couple days I'm getting the text failed retrying thing really driving me nuts... will keep an eye on the thread.

Dazzler