• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PLEASE HELP!! Exchange ?? HELP

Willimatic

May 26, 2010
I am a brand new android user, coming from 31/2 years on the iphone. I am liking my EVO a lot. I have one major complaint and sorry if this has been answered. I have looked and looked, maybe I just don't understand Android language enough yet.

Here is my problem, I use outlook for work, and we have an exchange account. so I set up the email through mail app, exchange option. Everything loads, EXCEPT for the sub folders in my inbox. I have folders under my inbox at work, that I drag files from the inbox too a specific sub folder.

For example

Inbox
---folder A
---folder B

How do I get to the sub folders to view the emails I place in there. When I hit the option button, I hit folders and none of those are there. The sent folder, drafts, trash, etc. are all there, but not the sub folders for the Inbox. If I go to trash and then hit folders, the inbox is an option, but not the sub folders. So I can only see what's in the inbox and not what I've dragged into the sub folders in outlook.

Can any please help. Thank you!!!

I have subfolders inside my inbox that show up in the stock HTC mail program on my Evo. My employer setup the exchange on my phone, but I don't think they used anything special.

The thing is the "flat" listing of subfolders when I go to menu-folders and see a REALLY long list of folders. The usual folders are listed like sent, outbox, drafts, etc., but if I continue scrolling down, I'll eventually see my inbox subfolders listed like this:

Inbox\Production
Inbox\Employment
Inbox\Support

Note that these subfolders are listed way down in the list of folders that pops up when I go menu-folders, far away from the position of inbox near the very top of my list of folders.

My phone is not running any special program or anything, so I assumed subfolder support was built in. Perhaps it's a setting on the exchange server that maybe you could talk to your IT guy to see if he could adjust the exchange settings to show your inbox subfolders?

Upvote 0
If I create a sub folder after exchange is set up on my EVO, they show up. If they were created before I sync on my EVO, they are not there. Kind of annoying if I have to go back and create new subfolders with new names and transfer all the emails to the new folders.

Maybe it is in the settings of outlook itself because I can not find anything on the phone at all.

thanks for the input, i'll keep on plugging.

Upvote 0
I can see my Inbox subfolders without any special setup on both the Android 2.1 and 2.2 release with the stock client connecting to an Exchange 2007 server. I don't think System Administrators have the ability to restrict Inbox subfolders.

The only complaint I've heard about subfolders is that they don't sync automatically and you don't get notifications for new messages.

Upvote 0
The only complaint I've heard about subfolders is that they don't sync automatically and you don't get notifications for new messages.
That's the biggest problem, and before going to far down the path of fooling with the subfolders one may want to see if that is important.

When I first moved from my Blackberry to my Evo, I thought the subfolders not synching automatically would be an issue. However, I started by turning off my rules that threw incoming emails into the subfolders, so they would all wind up in the main Inbox.

At first I really hated the idea of having to do this. However, as the days turned into weeks, I realized how little difference it has made. If I need to find or look for an email, or group that would have been in a folder, I simply type something in the search box in Outlook. It pulls the emails up quickly, and I've found myself really not missing the folder structure at all.

There is some email which I don't want hitting my Evo and giving me alerts, and that email is still going to a separate folder. I can always navigate to that folder on my device and retrieve it manually if necessary.

Upvote 0
How did you all get the exchange to work, I can't even get my evo to get past the first screen as mine will notaccept my user name and password? I've tried just about everything I could find.
If you can't get connected to begin with, then you should contact your IT department. They could have it blocked for your account, or the organization as a whole.

Reactions: bimmjo
Upvote 0
If you can't get connected to begin with, then you should contact your IT department. They could have it blocked for your account, or the organization as a whole.

I will contact them, its a new system for us so maybe that is adding to my woes. Ive tried everything i could find in here and cant even get past it taking my username and pasword. password

Upvote 0
I will contact them, its a new system for us so maybe that is adding to my woes. Ive tried everything i could find in here and cant even get past it taking my username and pasword. password
If it's new, and given your symptoms, then I'd definitely say that's where your problem lies. Obviously if there's a Proxy/Firewall in between you and the server that may need to be addressed too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones