1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help. First Android phone and Market problems!

Last Updated:

1. jonjay3012

jonjay3012 Member This Topic's Starter

Just got an HTC Wildfire, and it's my first Android device.

Set it up last night and went through the basic set up screens that pop up automaticall. I set up the email account I use all the time but also set up a GMAIL account as I had read that Android really likes to sync with GMAIL.

Once these were done I then set up a couple of things on the home screens and then thought right, time to get some apps.

Clicked on the Market icon, selcted a couple of things to download, like google voice control app, clicked ok. Download seemed to start but withing 10 seconds in the notification bar I got an error saying download unsuccessful please try later.

Now basically all I have done is set up the very basics on a brand new phone, created a brand new GMAIL account, just with username and password, and thats it.

I have also tried a full factory reset of the phone and starting over, but still no good.

Is there something else I need to do, that the phone isn't prompting me to do or is there something wrong somewhere.

Many thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Do you have a data package? Have you tried downloaded with wifi?

3. jonjay3012

By data package I assume you mean free data on the mobile contract. If so yep got that.

And the whole time I was trying to download the phone was connected to wifi.

I'm completely baffled by it. And very frustrated as being able to download apps should be straight forward, surely.

4. Marc Wonderland

Marc Wonderland Well-Known Member

I am a bit confused by this statement right here. Did you set up gmail as the primary account or the other email account. I am wondering if the gmail address is not the primary for the phone, would you be able to still use the market?

5. jonjay3012

Is there a primary and secondary? There was no option to distinguish. I just have an email account set up, which the mail programme picks up, and the GMAIL account that the GMAIL app picks up. Both of these accounts sync perfectly.

I can get in to the market and browse with no problems, no errors or anything. But nothing will download.

Totally stumped

6. Marc Wonderland

Marc Wonderland Well-Known Member

Ok, I am speaking specifically from the MyTouch 3G standpoint. There are 2 email apps that come installed on the phone. One is labled "GMAIL" which the phone uses as the primary account to have set up with the Android; and the other is labeled "EMAIL" which is basically a SMTP/POP 3 email client for all other accounts. When I bought my 3G I had to specifically set the phone up with the GMAIL account before I could do ANYTHING on the phone. Anytime I purchase anything from the market, I get routed to Google Check out. I believe you have to have a google account to be able to use it. So if it cannot pull the GMail account automatically, then it may have some errors.

This is how it goes as I see it with T-Mobile. I am not sure about the other carriers tho. I would ultimately advise for you to call your carrier and see if there is an issue.

7. jonjay3012

The Wildfire works in exactly the same way, GMAIL and MAIL apps. I have set up a GMAIL account which is working on the phone, which is why I can't work out why the market doesn't work