• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please Help! Galaxy Tab apps disappearing

Hello Everyone,

I have had my Tab for about a week now, and have noticed that a few apps will disappear from my home screen. I believe it happens when I turn the Tab off over night.

I just ran a test to see if I could figure this out...

The 3 apps that kept disappearing were Deer Hunter 3D, Angry Birds, and Spaghetti Marshmallows. I kept Angry Birds on the SD card (I moved all my apps to the card when I bought the Tab) and moved the other 2 back on the device.

After I turned the Tab off and on, Angry Birds was missing (this was on the SD Card) yet the other 2 finally stayed.

I believe now the issue is why do the apps disappear if you store them on your memory card and not the actual device?

I also have the Mesmerize, and haven't found any real issues about this on that device as well.

Are apps stored on SD card? Angry Birds is, on my devices.

App itself isn't disappearing, technically. (It should still appear in App Drawer.) Just home screen shortcut is. When phone reboots, SD card takes a while to be accessible, and it's not available when system is populating home screens.

One fix is to move apps with home screen shortcuts or widgets to internal storage. Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Tap app on list here, and then, Move to Phone (or close).

Reactions: Cobravision
Upvote 0
Looks like a Touchwiz bug with froyo. When you install apps in froyo, they automatically install on SD if the feature is available. The shortcut disappears from the homescreen when you restart.

Since I have the room, I just moved all the apps to phone to workaround it. But it's really annoying. Does not happen on my Evo. However, if I have an app that's moved to SD, the widgets don't show up on reboot even if the homescreen shortcut stays.

Upvote 0
It's not a bug, I think its developed this way.

Well maybe... I know this same thing happens if you put a widget on your homescreen that is stored on the sd card. I wonder if this happens with a shortcut for the same reason.

Move angry birds to internal, you'll NEVER run out of space, I have all 240+ apps installed on internal memory, and I still have like 500+mb left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones