• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help! HDMI audio incompatibility with my TV?

Hello there!

I bought a Motorola Milestone 3 Android phone (running android 2.3.6) and I totally love it, but I have a problem with HDMI out.

I bought a cable to connect the phone from the miniHDMI to my LCD 32" TVs. I have a Philips and a Sony Bravia TV.

When I connect the phone to my Phillips TV it works perfectly: as soon as I plug it in, I get video mirrored on my TV and the audio goes out through the TV loudspeakers

BUT... when I connect the phone to my Sony TV, I only get the video mirrored on the TV, and the audio doesn't exist (not on the TV nor on the phone). It just goes poof.

Are there any known incompatibilities between Android HDMI output and some TV sets? my Sony Bravia 2009 TV is my livingroom TV so I don't want to rule out plugging my phone to it!

Thanks a lot!
Facundo

Try checking the audio setting on the TV and look for HDMI-LCPM, try using that mode if you have it.

You also may want to looking into updating the firmware on the TV.

thanks... I checked and HDMI LCPM doesn't exist, although my TV manual says that PCM audio is the default for HDMI connections. I checked quick about updating the TV firmware, but it seems like a messy process.

do you know if there is any way to force the HDMI audio output in my Android phone to be PCM? thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones