• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PLEASE HELP! HTC Desire screen won't turn on after it goes on standby

helenfoz

Jul 5, 2011
Hi there

I dropped my phone this morning and now when it goes on standby the screen wont switch back on. Its still on and i can receive calls but the screen is black.

When I take the battery out and put it back in it comes on again but as soon as it goes on standby I am faced with the same blank screen problem.

I stupidly haven't got insurance and it is over a year old so wont be covered under manufacturer's warranty. Anyone any ideas how I might go about fixing it myself?

Thanks!
Helenfoz

Hiya

Thanks all for the responses

SiHa
the power button works when I press it after putting the battery in to turn the phone on and also works to turn the phone onto standby, its just turning it back off standby that doesnt work. Also when I make a call after the call has finished it goes on standby and won't come back on :-(

I'll try a factory reset tonight but not getting my hopes up mhotovec like you say it might not work.

If anyone else has any other ideas or has experienced the same problem let me know!

Upvote 0
Will let you know tonight after I have a go at the factory reset. Keep your fingers and toes crossed it works :)

Oh and I dropped my phone in the bath about a week after getting it (just over year ago) and haven't had any problems until dropping it this morning, but I dont reckon the manufacturers warranty would cover it getting fixed as the water damage stickers in the phone are red.

I really should take more care with my phone shouldn't I!

Upvote 0
Oh and I dropped my phone in the bath about a week after getting it (just over year ago) and haven't had any problems until dropping it this morning, but I dont reckon the manufacturers warranty would cover it getting fixed as the water damage stickers in the phone are red.

Ah, that won't help.
Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: helenfoz
Upvote 0
So done a restore of my desire and it still isnt working properly :-(

Have also noticed that if I leave the phone on charge for 30mins or more and press the standby button then it works. But then try it again immediately after it doesnt. It really is strange.

Have spoken to HTC who said they will pick it up for repair on Monday and then quote me how much it will cost to fix. If its too much they said they can send the phone back for a fee of around

Upvote 0
Ive just got the phone back from HTC and they said they wont fix it because of the water damage. It really sucks because I know its nothing to do with water damage as it happened over a year ago and had been working fine until I dropped it last week :-(

Ive tried another battery in it and that doesnt affect it. Still have the same problem.

Im thinking my only option now is to have a go at taking the phone apart myself to have a look and then if I cant figure it out myself Ill just have to sell it as broken :-(

Really gutted!

Upvote 0
Thanks loads SiHa been hunting for a good guide this afternoon and this one looks good!

I have heard people have had similar issues with other HTC's where they mention it being something to do with the proximity sensor? Dunno if thats the same problem here though.

Yeah, I did wonder about the proximity sensor, but it seems unlikely to me as the screen only doesn't come on from asleep. The proximity sensor should only be active when you're making calls.
You could download a sensor test app from the market to see if the sensor is doing something iffy, maybe.

If course, if it is the sensor, it'll still need repairing.

Upvote 0
Downloaded a couple of proximity sensor apps and it is working so it doesnt look like its that. Also tried an app that is supposed to wake the phone up on when you blow into the mike. It does wake it up as the keys light up but doesnt switch the screen on so I'm still stuck with the same problem.

Its so strange! Especially when I leave it on charge for at least 30mins and then the standby button will work!

Upvote 0
Odd.

It sounds like maybe something screen-hardware related has been damaged, and it needs a higher voltage (such as it would get after a charge) to turn on the screen.
Is your phone SLCD or LED? You can check by getting a black or very dark screen to display and going into a darkened room. If you can see light bleed from the edges then it's SLCD

If it's SLCD, when the screen doesn't turn on, it could be just the backlight that is not coming on. Have a look at the screen ander a bright light whilst pressing the power button to see of you can see any vestige of an image coming up.

Upvote 0
I got my mate at work to take my fiance's hero to a shop he knows in bradford. They changed her digitiser. I can ask the name and address of the shop if you like?

Hi Suroot - missed your post before! Thanks to SiHa for pointing it out. That would be ace if you dont mind? Might get in touch with them. How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones